Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He was pretty consistent around 4-5 months but now that he's a little over six months he's pretty stubborn and only comes back if he knows I have a good treat or if what he's looking at is no longer interesting.

I think it's partly that he's more independent.

Tips? I'm especially curious about what to do if I saw "Dorje Come" and he just ignores me. I know some trainers say to never repeat and to just wait a minute or two and try again. Others say not to give up, and to just keep calling and making kissy noises until he finally comes. That latter choice definitely does not work for me, fyi.

I'd appreciate suggestions. I see there's a Recall Sticky, but I'm mostly interested in what to do if the recall has gone backwards.

I wouldn't mind just switching to a different word. I should also note that if he's already facing me when I call him I put my hand out so he can target it, and in those cases we have about an 80% recall rate still - he loves targeting.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Pax also is target driven for recall. That turns recall into a game rather than tearing him away from whatever he is currently interested making "come" a negative.

If the come action is always a negative...leaving a fun place, going inside, getting in trouble...would you want to respond? You have to make recall a positive experience more than a negative for it to be reliable.

At 4-5 months they are still coming because they do not want to be away from you. At 6 months they are starting to become more independent and want to go face the world and they are discovering that the world is more interesting than you, hence the perception of regressing recall.

Don't make the assumption that recall training is complete, especially at six months...it should be a constant reinforcing behavior worked on every day in all situations.

Pax also responds heavily (or does not respond) based on tone of voice. He will respond to an emergency "STOP!, COME!" yell, but for day to day recall he will blow me off if there is any frustration in my voice rather than a happy tone "come".

Pax is 1 year 9 months and we work on recall ever place and chance we can.

It is not uncommon to take 2 years to have a solid and reliable recall in all situations with may dogs.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
It's normal at that age. The trick is to only call if you're pretty sure he'll come. That means having his attention and a good treat or using a remote collar. If you call a bunch and he doesn't come you're going to destroy the cue.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks!

Do you think I've destroyed the word "Come" and should just start over with a new word?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what do I do when the thing he wants to do is so much more fun?

For example, what if he always has to bother my neighbors in the hallway and try to play when they don't really want to but he just loves them so much and thinks they are exciting?

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
He was pretty consistent around 4-5 months but now that he's a little over six months he's pretty stubborn and only comes back if he knows I have a good treat or if what he's looking at is no longer interesting.

I think it's partly that he's more independent.

Tips? I'm especially curious about what to do if I saw "Dorje Come" and he just ignores me. I know some trainers say to never repeat and to just wait a minute or two and try again. Others say not to give up, and to just keep calling and making kissy noises until he finally comes. That latter choice definitely does not work for me, fyi.

I'd appreciate suggestions. I see there's a Recall Sticky, but I'm mostly interested in what to do if the recall has gone backwards.

I wouldn't mind just switching to a different word. I should also note that if he's already facing me when I call him I put my hand out so he can target it, and in those cases we have about an 80% recall rate still - he loves targeting.
He's doing what most puppies do at that age.

At 4 and 5 months old he was still young and most puppies instincts tell them to stay by their owner.

At 6 months old he's in the beginning of the doggy teenage age, and what that means for us people is that puppies decide that they can be independent and should do what they want to do before doing what us boring humans want them to do.

I'd go back to the basics of recall training, and start over in a boring location, then slowly add back in distractions. Make sure that you let him go back to whatever he was doing most of the time when you call him, it'll help in the long run because coming to you won't equal the end of his fun.

Unless you want your recall word to be "Dorje Come Dorje Come Dorje Come Dorje Come", then only say it once. Ideally only say it when you know that he'll come, otherwise go and get him rather then giving the recall word. You can also train an emergency recall, one that always gets him a very high value treat, I usually use a whistle for mine, that you can use when you need him to come. Once he's learned it you can use it to get him to come when it's really important and your not sure that he'll come for his regular recall. If trained right he should come even if you do not have treats because he has always gotten that really special treat when he heard it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I personally don't think it's necessary to change your recall word if he still responds to it some of the time, though others may disagree w/ me. Just keep working on it w/ him, use lots of treats at this point since he is just starting to go through, as others mentioned the "doggy teenage phase" and will be getting more independent for a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts