Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Tyrion is not really housetrained. He will often go outside because we take him out frequently, and he never goes in his crate or bed, but he still daily pees on the floor and sometimes poops. We gave him a lot of leeway when we got him in the summer because he's got health issues, some of which affect his bladder. So we did get a wee wee pad mat and lots of wee wee pads. He's...sort of got the idea. Occasionally he'll go in a random spot in the house but most often he will go around the wee wee pad. And when I say around it, I mean within inches. Literally sometimes his paws are actually ON the wee wee pad, but what comes out of him misses. : | I can't get mad at him then because he's...trying.

I'm trying to think of a better way to localize the pee and poop onto the pad if he can't make it outside. Do those sprays work? And I'm considering trying those "potty bells" as well. But even then, he can be brought out 3 times in 90 minutes, and pee each time, but still pee in the house. Again, he does have some health issues that make holding it while awake difficult, but I'm hoping I can improve some of the wee wee pad target. [I literally had to stop writing this sentence to take him out to pee again and he had just gone next to the wee wee pad not 30 minutes ago!]

Any input would help because we're pretty diligent about this, but it seems like he's just a fuzzy little bladder.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
It feels like forever. I wish you the best of luck. It gets better if you can manage him a bit closer too-maybe umbilical/crate training.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Are you familiar with paper training? Like what some breeders do with young pups? Might solve to problem to retrain it that way...

Also what about litter box training? The sides may help... Clearer boundary... Or if missing id due to lifting, the sides perhaps would catch his pee.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure which procedure for that you're aiming at with paper training but tell me exactly what you mean. I do know the general wee wee pad training which I assumed was the same but let me know what you mean. A litter box is an idea but I'm not sure my mom will go for it. She seems like she's given up.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, that was what I thought it would be. However I'm not sure if my mom would really go for it right now (especially since Tyrion would bark a lot if he was confined and separated from us). Since he's her dog and I hope to move out in a year or two it's her call. I'll suggest if but she'll probably just shrug and say he's got issues and she doesn't care anymore about cleaning it up. Thank you for the link though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts