Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my dogs to a Humane Society sponsored shelter to get their vaccinations up to date, i.e. Bordatella and D2APP on 5/15.

On 5/21, I noticed they were sneezing almost continuously for periods at a time. Sometimes if it was severe, they would go into reverse sneezing/honking. They probably sneeze several times an hour for a couple minutes at a time, I try to help by rubbing their noses.

After researching, I read that sneezing is a common side effect of Bordatella intranasal vaccines. I also read that I shouldn't take them to the vet to get antibiotics because that would undo the vaccine.

My question therefore is what should I do? My mom's poodle doesn't sneeze as much, probably only 5 times/day for brief 10 second fits. Versus my yorkie is still sneezing several times an hour for a minute or two fits. I am a little bit concerned about him.

Since he probably doesn't actually have the disease, is there anything OTC I can get him to help with the sneezing? He regularly has mild allergies and sneezes normally too, but this is the most severe he has ever had with sneezing symptoms.

Help would be appreciated, thanks! :huddle:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I wanted to add info but it exceeded the 10 minute time limit:

My mom's poodle is a 9lb 3 year old rescue we had gotten 2 days prior to the vaccinations. My 7lb Yorkie I have had since he was a puppy, he is 2 3/4 and previously had gotten all his vaccinations through Petsmart Basic Vet Plan with no prior issues.

The reason I bring it up is while they didn't touch any other dogs at the clinic, they touched the same surfaces behind closed doors. Could they have caught something separately there?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I'd talk to your Vet. What you read may not have been accurate or pertinent for your dogs.

When my dogs get Bordatella, which isn't often, they always sneeze immediately afterwards, if they get the nasal vaccine. That is not something I've worried about as it's only a sneeze or two. Symptoms a week later would concern me enough to contact my Vet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update, I took my yorkie's temperature which is 100.9, which is safely within normal parameters. He has been sneezing less often/severe since I last updated. I think he may have a minor infection but I am hesitant to take him in since I don't want to have paid for his vaccinations only to pay to take their effects away with antibiotics. There is also a minor bump in his lymph nodes that I researched is usually associated with a bacterial infection. If he had had a fever I would have definitely taken him in, but it appears for right now at least he is on the road to discovery.

The poodle rarely sneezes anyways BUT she has been licking her privates a lot and I fear that she spread that bacterial infection into that area because when I noticed she has a stinky nose and a general unpleasant smell.

Right now my course of action is close monitoring but I am considering taking them to a vet (which will be expensive since I'm not currently on any plan). My mom is convinced they are not sick but they've always had a tough it out kind of attitude to everything. I think there is a very low risk of something serious but if the symptoms get more serious I definitely want to take them in.

In the meantime any recommendations to alleviate symptoms? I.e. sneezing, foods that will boost immunity, that sort?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Antibiotics will not take away the effects of a vaccine... And a "bump on a lymph node" does not mean a bacterial infection.

Be careful where you are reading things.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Jaya went through about 3 days of reverse sneezing after getting a rabies shot, the vet didn't think they were connected...and it was just bad timing as we were also having a cottonwood pollen flair up in this valley.

It was terrible to hear and watch, but after about 3 days it all calmed down and she's been fine since then. Everything I read about it, they made it seem like it wasn't that big of a deal...looks and sounds worse than what it is.
Jaya was also on prednisone during that time...so I was surprised that the cottonwood flying could have affected her that bad.

Stormy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update, both dogs are completely fine for many days and are no longer sneezing/reverse sneezing. (I agree stormy, reverse sneezing is always hard to hear!). It was probably a negative response to vaccinations in addition to two stress points (welcoming a new poodle the day before) and (the presence of 50 other barking dogs for over 2 hours waiting for vaccinations, esp since my yorkie pretty much hates all other dogs since they were mean to him when he was a puppy, which I've been trying to correct/get him better socialized) that exasperated their symptoms. Mostly my yorkie's symptoms, since my mom's poodles symptoms were always minimal.

I also felt my yorkie's lymphs a few times and the extra tiny bump was probably related to his symptoms/the mild bacterial infection because it is gone now.

Thanks for the concern everyone! This time it happily turned out to just be a typical stress related aggravation of typical vaccination symptoms!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts