Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 13 month old lab has come a long way to being a better behaved girl. She's been a land shark since the first day we brought her home at 8 weeks. The biting has almost completely fazed out. She can still be moody, and when she's having a tantrum she sometimes snaps and shows her teeth. It lands her in timeout and she quickly snaps out of the attitude. Tonight my husband was leaning beside her on the couch and she turned and snapped at his face. He moved back and she didn't touch him with her teeth. Both of us immediately said "No bite!" And told her "timeout" and now she's in the crate since it's technically bedtime. This is not a common habit, very rarely and more recent has it happened. Anyone else having dealt with this have any advice? This is not a habit I want to continue.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Don't put your face in a dog's face ever! Lol

But honestly if you're consistent with correcting her and redirecting her, she should grow out of it. Look up bite inhibition techniques, the ASPCA has a good article. My dog was awful for the first 10 months but he's fine and not mouthy now.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't put your face in a dog's face ever! Lol

But honestly if you're consistent with correcting her and redirecting her, she should grow out of it. Look up bite inhibition techniques, the ASPCA has a good article. My dog was awful for the first 10 months but he's fine and not mouthy now.
Posted via Mobile Device
lol she was a terror for most of the year and is almost out of this phase. I actually give my husband crap sometimes because she does warn that she's moody. I'm ready for that phase to end :)

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
If she is giving a warning and you are not respecting it it could lead to worse problems. She may stop snapping and go straight to biting. I don't think your time outs are working to change the habit. Look up the info on bite inhibition that
Wideturn recommended and work on changing the behavior.

·
Registered
812 Posts
My dog snapped at my face whenever I put it near his belly.

Lesson learned: don't put my face near his belly. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts