Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to find out definitively, whether there is a difference in temperament between Rough and Smooth Collies.

It seems that Rough owners tend to say that Smooths are more independent and strong willed, while Smooth owners tend not to see a difference.
Has anyone had experience with both?

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Some might suggest there is a temperament difference between a rough and smooth collie but they would be in the vast minority. The coat of a smooth or rough collie is determined by the sire and dam's genes. Rough coat is recessive and smooth is dominant. There are "rough-factored" smooths which when bred together can have both smooth and rough pups in the same litter. So, I would suggest there is no difference in temperament when it comes to a rough or smooth collie. I would liken it to the difference in a stock coat GSD versus a longstock GSD as there is no difference in temperament just a difference in appearance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Of course all dogs personalities vary but with these two the general breed guidelines are the same. There is no distinct difference with anything other than coat length.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.