Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I'm still trying to figure out whether I want a puppy or an adult dog, I'm also still looking into different breeds.
I do like Collies but I have bad seasonal allergies. I'm not allergic to dogs but with a long thick coat, the dog can pick up pollen and other irritants outside. Brushing could exacerbate my symptoms.

I know Smooth Collies shed but I was wondering how a Smooth would be for an allergy sufferer. Does anyone with allergies have a Smooth Collie or, even a rough Collie?

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
We don't have a collie, but we do have two dogs, an Aussie with quite a thick coat, and a Border Collie with almost a smooth coat. My husband is allergic to the outdoors. Poor guy. With that said - NO allergies to our dogs. He snuggles them, brushes them, and is always on the couch with them. So it might now be as bad as you think. :)

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you're worried about the dogs coat picking up stuff that could trigger your allergies than a Smooth Collie would probably be better. But if you prefer a Rough Collie, you could take the dog to a groomer to be brushed out or bathed when needed so you don't have to do it yourself. Personally, I love Rough Collies, but I really don't like the coat maintenance and can't afford a groomer so I have to do it myself. So in the future I'll stick with Smooth Collies if at all possible. So, it really depends on you, what you believe you can handle or not. If you can, maybe find a friend or go to a dog park and just ask people there if you can pet the dogs and ask about grooming and such. It might be easier to make a decision if you're able to see and touch the real deal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts