Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have a surplus of deer bones in my freezer right now. My guys eat them all raw, but I wanted to give some to a friend for her Aussie to enjoy. Her hubby is opposed to him eating raw food and bones, even though I've told them over and over how it's fine and the benefits, etc...

So I was going to smoke some of them for her. I know cooking bones can make them brittle and splinter, but what about smoking them? I've seen smoked beef bones in the pet store and bought smoked pork bones for my dogs a few times with no problem. I was thinking smoking might be fine but wanted to get some other opinions on the subject first. I've got rib, back, and leg bones.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I smoked a rack of deer ribs just to see, and they aren't brittle or anything. I used a pretty low temp, 150. They were flexible just like raw bones. I supervised the dogs eating 1 each and didn't notice any splintering

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Cooked bones in any form aren't safe. You don't want "soft" or "flexible" bones. That's what causes splintering, and less able to digest. If they won't feed them raw, I just wouldn't give them any at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, deer bones are great for a dog. But you shouldn't cook them. You will leech nutrients and increase the risk of broken teeth. I think just toss them out for the dogs. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't give any cooked bones and never feed weight bearing bones. Give raw non-weight bearing bones. Turkey necks are great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts