Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
i think a lot of animals smile. my Pom/Chiuahuha smiles when he's happy as does my lab mix. the dog i had growing up Patches (siberian huskey mix) also smiled. my cats also smile. infact it looks like my orange tabby Lance (when we got him we named him Lancelot so we could have Lancelot and his Lady) looks like he's wearing a stupid grim half the time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, Australian Shepherds smile too! Is so cute...but some people are a bit taken aback, because it looks like they are showing their teeth which is usually associated with agreesion. My Keeyla smiles at me when I've been away from her all day. It's so nice to see that she really missed me...she doesn't smile for anyone else but me. :)

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
One of our dogs (Morgan), smiles but it's just a half smile (one upper side). :) I think it's awfully cute, and I really need to get a photo of it. Oddly enough, neither of her parents smile, but one of her sisters does. My cousin has a Keeshond and she grins by lifting the front of her upper lips, kind of like a when a person wrinkles her noe up; anyways, they say a lot of Keeshonds do this grin.

What I want to know is if this really is a "happy" smile or if there's any other behavioral context in it. I seem to recall something about smiling in that Calming Signals article, or am I wrong. Why do some dogs "smile," by lifting their upper lips (one or both sides)? Mine has always done it in a friendly context.

BTW, I think Borzois are beautiful and would love to own one someday....

·
Registered
316 Posts
My dog smiles too. :) It's not aggressive at all, he was just happy to see me and was squirming around begging me to rub his tummy.

Attachments

·
Registered
618 Posts
Our Shelties smile. So does the Sheltie/Pom mix.

I wish I had gotten a picture of him the other day when he was on my hubby's lap. I asked him, "Are you Daddy's baby dog?" and he just perked up his ears and smiled from ear to ear. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.