Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
My first post so I apologize if this is note the correct forum.

I have a healthy, strong 14 month old giant breed mix.

He was totally healthy until about 3 weeks ago when he started producing a lot of smegma. It was a light yellow tint and he was definitely disturbed by it and was licking a lot.

I took him to the vet and they did a number of tests and exams that cost an arm and a leg, all to recover nothing. They refused to try antibiotics even though I asked multiple times. He is young and healthy so even if they were ineffective they wouldn't have hurt him. Their only suggestion is to put him under and scope him... I wont go there yet, it's too extreme. So here I am.

BUT I realized that I switched his food 4 weeks ago to Costco brand Nature's Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato. It has great reviews and friends have used it for years.

I took him off that food two weeks ago and put him back on his old food and the smegma got much, much better, just not totally gone. Unfortunately my dog sitter last weekend missed my note and fed from the Costco bag. The smegma returned today.

I am inclined to think this is the reason for the smegma, so am going to keep him on his current diet. I just want to make sure I'm not ignoring something major, but am not quite ready to switch vets and pay for more exams.

A little more related detail: his was neutered at 4 months from rescue, has never had smegma before, normally doesn't lick privates much, vet found no swelling, no sign of injury, no sign of foreign object.

Anyone have a similar situation in the past?

Thank you :)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hello!
My first post so I apologize if this is note the correct forum.

I have a healthy, strong 14 month old giant breed mix.

He was totally healthy until about 3 weeks ago when he started producing a lot of smegma. It was a light yellow tint and he was definitely disturbed by it and was licking a lot.

I took him to the vet and they did a number of tests and exams that cost an arm and a leg, all to recover nothing. They refused to try antibiotics even though I asked multiple times. He is young and healthy so even if they were ineffective they wouldn't have hurt him. Their only suggestion is to put him under and scope him... I wont go there yet, it's too extreme. So here I am.

BUT I realized that I switched his food 4 weeks ago to Costco brand Nature's Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato. It has great reviews and friends have used it for years.

I took him off that food two weeks ago and put him back on his old food and the smegma got much, much better, just not totally gone. Unfortunately my dog sitter last weekend missed my note and fed from the Costco bag. The smegma returned today.

I am inclined to think this is the reason for the smegma, so am going to keep him on his current diet. I just want to make sure I'm not ignoring something major, but am not quite ready to switch vets and pay for more exams.

A little more related detail: his was neutered at 4 months from rescue, has never had smegma before, normally doesn't lick privates much, vet found no swelling, no sign of injury, no sign of foreign object.

Anyone have a similar situation in the past?

Thank you :)

I had to Google this , I've never heard of Smegma .. I found this article and apparently there can be many causes for this issue , allergies being one . Not sure if that is diet related allergies or not but if the previous diet helps then stay with it . I am sorry I can't be more help . Maybe someone else with have some experience with this and will have better advice for you . Well here is the article I found .
Smegma: 101

1 - 2 of 2 Posts