Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i rescued a black lab six years ago and although I am with her most of the day, I would like to get her a smart toy She can play with on her own. She doesn't like stuffed animals/squeaky toys and she broke and chewed up a treat dispensing toy. She likes to play catch for awhile but doesn’t like to play with toys with her people. I don’t think she had toys before we got her. I was wondering if anyone had ideas for a toy that might keep her entertained. Treat dispensing toys might be okay if they’re strong. She gets scared easily so I’m not sure about the robot type of toys. Thanks.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I made a toy for my dog that you might be able to use. What I did is to cut a strip off of an old sheet, about 6ft long and 3-4 inches wide. What I do with this is roll it up and while I'm doing that I roll treats into it.

What I do with it then is to put it into a container (I used a small bucket with a plastic lid). I cut a small hole in the lid and leave a corner of the sheet sticking out. The rest of the sheet and all the treats are inside. The dog can smell the treats but in order to get them he has to solve a puzzle, namely (a) how to get the sheet out of the bucket and (b) how to get any treats that are still in the bucket out once the sheet has been removed.

Given that your dog is a lab and might actually eat the sheet, you might need to use different materials than I did but you get the idea.

I have a poodle so it probably won't surprise you to learn that it took him 20 min to solve the puzzle the first time, about 12 minutes the second time and now he does it in about 1/2 of that. However, starting with this basic idea I am able to give the puzzle a little twist from time to time that challenges him again.

Best part is I didn't have to spend a bunch of money for this at a toy store. I just made it from stuff I had laying around the house.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.