Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I adopted 8 month old Kimber on Monday 10/19/09. He is a great dog and I love him to death! We are having a few small problems with him that I am not sure how to address. We have an 8 year old Lab, Kelsey who is very calm and mellow. We adopted her when she was 6 and as far as I know she has never been around other dogs. Kelsey is happy just laying around the house as long as she gets her walks. She chews on bones but isn't interested in toys of any kind. SO anyway....Kimber is a puppy and he loves to play. He nips at her ears and face and jumps on her alot. Sometimes she will "play" back but mostly she just gives him a growl. The problem is I am not sure how to tell when she is playing or if she is fighting. My husband thinks they are fighting but I think they are playing. They growl and jump on each other. After a minute or so Kelsey will give this crazy growl and then I step in. So how do I tell if they are playing or fighting? Should I allow Kimber to aggravate Kelsey? Should I allow Kelsey to growl at Kimber? I am just not sure here.

The other problem and it is really annoying is Kimber does not like it when I pet or give attention to Kelsey. If he sees me doing this he will lick my hands, try to get in between us and when I turn my back to him he jumps on me as I am usually in the floor petting Kelsey. I am not sure how to get him to leave me alone to be with Kelsey. Because I know it is important that Kelsey does not feel neglected because of a new dog.

Also, a minor concern with Kimber is when we play fetch he goes for the ball when I try to pick it up and has nipped me once or twice. I have started stepping on the ball first so he knows it is "mine" and then he backs up and I pick up the ball. But I know I need to get the nipping under control as well.

Thanks for all your help. This is the first time I have had more than one dog and Kelsey came to us pretty much fully trained.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i'm not sure how to answer about the two dogs getting along, i've always let them work things out on their own...i've only had two dogs that didn't "get along" but that was a strange circumstance that doesn't fit this...situation...
i do know that you shouldn't correct kelsey for growling...it is a communication and it is important that she is able to use that...and some dogs make growling noises when they play....w/o seeing them...not sure...if you think the situation is escalating, interrupt them, but don't correct them... maybe squeak a toy or something...to get their attention

can you give them both treats at the same time?

does kimber know any basic commands like "sit"?

kimber needs to learn bite inhibition, that will help with the ball thing, if he and kelsey are playing that will help him to learn it...making a high pitched and startling yelping noise when he nips you will help with that too...you can also say "ouch" each time and fold your arms and turn your back on him...

to prevent the nips before they happen i would teach him a command that means to drop the ball..."drop-it" to do this you play a trading game with him...and this is great for all sorts of things...you can use treats or another ball, or go back and forth between both...throw ball "a" and when he brings it back you can either show him ball "b" usually they will release ball "a" at this point and you can throw ball "b" and switch back and forth...this one is good to really work 'em out because they are constantly fetching...
with treats you show them the treat, and again, most dogs will drop whatever they have in their mouth to get something that they want...when he starts to show signs that he is understanding to trade the item, like consistantly dropping the ball for you, you can add a cue "drop it" or whatever you are comfortable with.
the idea is to avoid "taking" things away from them...this will only encourage the dog to guard. by trading with them you are teaching them that giving up what they have=getting something better, so there is no need (in the dog's mind) to guard...make sense?
you can speed up this process by using a reward marker too, are you familiar with this at all? clicker training is reward marking too....

all of this sort of training takes time and patience, but is very effective...in general, with all of his behavior, try not to think about how much you want him not to do something, try to think of what you would rather he did instead, and train him to do that...i can recommend some good training books and helpful websites if you'd be interested....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
One way to tell is to separate them and then release only the dog that was getting "beat up" on...if they go back to the rougher dog...they like it.

Very very sure this isn't fighting...when dogs fight, there is no question about it. Bullying maybe, fighting...def not.

what do you do when he jumps on you on the floor after you turn? Do you look at him? stand up? push him away? som'times people accident reinforce it by pushing, or talking or som'thing. I have a pushy dog and I taught a solid SIT and then make her sit before she can have any pets.

do the same thing with the ball as with the food in the video on your other thread...they go for it, you pull it away...they are patient they get it.

make sence? :)

we posted same time! Jinx!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I try to give them both treats at the same time Kimber pushed against Kelsey and even tries to take the treat out of her mouth sometimes. Sometimes when they are roughing in the house it gets to be too much so I have started saying "enough" as I pull them apart. I am hoping that by doing this eventually I can say "Enough" and they will stop. Is that possible? I like the idea of trading with him and using 2 balls to play with. I would definately be interesting in any book recommendations. I went to the library today to see what I could find but they didn't have much.

We are working on "Sit" with Kimber. I think he knows it but sometimes I still have to make him "Sit". I just started working with him yesterday. He always sits during our training sessions when I have treats but not always on command if I don't have food.

I have been working on "Drop-IT" but only while we are playing. I need to work with him with the trade I didn't do that.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
When I try to give them both treats at the same time Kimber pushed against Kelsey and even tries to take the treat out of her mouth sometimes.
what size are these treats? lol

perhaps hand feeding their meals...one kibble at a time...while the dog is in a sit, would be a good idea. Have you looked at the impulse control training vid I posted yet? :)
He always sits during our training sessions when I have treats but not always on command if I don't have food.

if you are going to train with food...
http://www.dogforum.com/dog-training/thoughts-training-food-1219/page5/

its important to use the food correctly or you get a dog that only obeys when they see food. :)

I second the trading...better to prevent than cure guarding.

as far as books go...gosh I have lots to recomend...a good all around one is The Power of Postive Dog Training by Pat Miller...likely you will have to buy it in a store or order it online.

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Positive-Dog-Training/dp/0470241845/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256234968&sr=8-1

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Recommendations

I would love any recommendations on training books. I went to the library today but they didn't have much.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Normally I pull Kelsey away because I can control her better. Sometimes she goes back. So you think she is playing and she isn't mad? When Kimber jumps on me I usually push him away so I can pet Kelsey. I don't want Kelsey to feel jealous. What do you think I should do instead?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Normally I pull Kelsey away because I can control her better. Sometimes she goes back. So you think she is playing and she isn't mad? When Kimber jumps on me I usually push him away so I can pet Kelsey. I don't want Kelsey to feel jealous. What do you think I should do instead?

If shes going back she is loving it. If they were really truely fighting...you would have blood by now. Two of my dogs make horrible "death to you" noises while playing...som' dogs are just talkative.

When Kimber jumps on me I usually push him away
unfortunately dogs like this...there is actually an entire training system based on this called "pushing"...

when you push the dog away, you are increasing its desire to be with you.

Best bet would be to freeze and let the dog bounce on you and when they stop praise OR perhaps make an "ouch" sound if they touch you....if they are super nutso stand up and leave the room for about thirty seconds then start over..

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I should just leave them alone? What do you think will happen when/if Kelsey has had enough?

I know that pushing him away when he jumps on me isn't good. I read that somewhere. When he jumps on me if I am standing I just ignore him and then praise him when he is calm. I guess I just don't want him interfering every time I am giving Kelsey attention. So you think I should stop what I am doing until his is calm and praise him and then go back to Kelsey?

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
If he sees me doing this he will lick my hands, try to get in between us and when I turn my back to him he jumps on me as I am usually in the floor petting Kelsey. I am not sure how to get him to leave me alone to be with Kelsey

Welcome to parenting a boxer ;) They are such fun dogs but so rough sometimes, hence the name lol. If you are going to sit on the floor with the older dog best bet is going to be to separate them or give the boxer something to do. Sounds to me like he is simply excited that you are on his level, not jealous that the other dog is being pet :) Congrats btw!

Also, a minor concern with Kimber is when we play fetch he goes for the ball when I try to pick it up and has nipped me once or twice. I have started stepping on the ball first so he knows it is "mine" and then he backs up and I pick up the ball. But I know I need to get the nipping under control as well.
This is how they play, they are mouthy dogs. Stepping on the ball is a great idea, it is what I always did with my boxers growing up. We also taught them "back" which is when I point behind them and tell them back they step back away from the ball. Another thing we do with my parents big boy now is make him sit before we pick up the ball.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
My dad learned the hard way that pushing a boxer is their favorite game LOL He did it playing around but did not expect to get pounced on by their 85lb solid muscle boxer! Best bet would be to do what Crio said or another option would be to turn away from the dog as he jumps and walk away.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
my bad for some reason I thought he was a boxer!!!! geez sorry! Guess the same hyper activity is typical of pits lol, mine still has NOT calmed down

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They said he was boxer/pitbull mix. When I looked it up on the computer it said that would American Pit Bull Terrier. Sometimes I use Boxer because people tend to freak out when they hear the term Pit Bull its a shame really because they are such sweet hearts.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I feel like everyone has been giving some good advice so I don't feel like i need to add anything, but congrats on the new pup :)

i don't think a boxer/pitbull mix is an American Pitbull terrier though, possibly i am wrong tho.

~MSE

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
They said he was boxer/pitbull mix. When I looked it up on the computer it said that would American Pit Bull Terrier. Sometimes I use Boxer because people tend to freak out when they hear the term Pit Bull its a shame really because they are such sweet hearts.
What do you mean here? Sorry confused, the computer said boxer/pit mixes are called American Pit Bull Terriers?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts