Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I am new to this but I really need help. Does anyone have a dog that is both deaf and blind? I have a small poodle 13 years old. He's ;blind in 1 eye a
nd going blind in the other. Also a few months ago he lost his hearing. My heart is breaking. I really need help with what I can do for him, Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you
Charlie e

·
Super Moderator
1,631 Posts
Hi. I guess the first thing would be to find out whether the sight and hearing loss can be reversed, depending on the causes.

But if not, your dog could still have some quality of life. If he still enjoys food, and going for sniffing walks you could take him out on leash. You would need to adjust how you handle him, to make sure you don't surprise him if he can't see or hear you approach but it is doable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi. I guess the first thing would be to find out whether the sight and hearing loss can be reversed, depending on the causes.

But if not, your dog could still have some quality of life. If he still enjoys food, and going for sniffing walks you could take him out on leash. You would need to adjust how you handle him, to make sure you don't surprise him if he can't see or hear you approach but it is doable.
He is so insecure and scared. He follows me everywhere. He wants me to sit with all day. I can't leave him. My vet says any kind of surgery wpuld be too hard for him because of his age.

·
Super Moderator
1,631 Posts
To be honest, I've not done this but here's how I'd go about it.

I'd work with the senses he still has, particularly touch and scent.

To let him know where you are, I would start by cutting up an old pair of socks into pieces and putting them into a sealed jar with a dozen cloves. After they have been in for at least 3 days, take a piece out and let him sniff it while you gently stroke him. Then, always have a piece with you, so he can smell you coming - refresh it by swapping with a fresh piece 3 or 4 times a day, putting the used one back in the jar to get scented again.

When you approach him, take the piece of cloth out of your pocket and maybe waft it around so he isn't taken by surprise.

You might be able to teach hum to anticipate certain things by touch. For example, every time you are going to put on his harness touch him on the left ear - or right shoulder, or anything, as long as it is consistent. Use a different touch to tell him you are going to pick him up. You want him to learn that this touch precedes this action so things are more easy to anticipate or expect - by removing the things that might take him by surprise, he might be more confident.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Google "Blind dog halo". Wearing this may make both of you more confident for him to be more independant. I also put different tactile surfaces, e.g. an bristly outdoor rug or grippy drawer liner, in front of certain spots such as the bottom AND top of stairs, rolling chairs, or anywhere else I needed my dog to avoid. You'll have to push him away many times every time he steps on the rug, and reward him when he does step off/ avoids it. Obviously use a baby gate with the stairs, too! A deaf and blind dog can definitely be taken on walks, with care. He can also learn basic commands via touch, like JoanneF pointed out. My dog lost his hearing before he lost his sight, so we were able to adjust as we went along. Don't be heartbroken; you're expanding each other's world. It's worth it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts