Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This may seem like a silly question, but I am looking for recommendations for a ball to play fetch with for a small, 5 pound puppy. Tennis balls are too big and the small ones I found seem almost too small and I am worried about choking. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
You're getting a cockapoo, right?

This was one of our cockapoo's very first toys- she still loves it 12 years later! Rubber and very durable. I guess this new version has a space in it to put treats though? Mia's is dark green and solid but otherwise same company and same design.

https://www.chewy.com/dog/planet-do...cbYCGnbyIYK8Rlv3-tRTR-kUuiajS5K0tARoCP4Dw_wcB

I also have this for my toy fox terrier (she's a 7 lbs dog) in the small size. Also very durable and cool design.

https://www.chewy.com/dog/west-paw-design-zogoflex-jive-granny/dp/43052

·
Registered
662 Posts
Do you already have the dog or are you guessing mouth size? A 5 lb dog is going to have such a small mouth that even very small toys shouldn't really be too concerning- my Boston Terrier is now around 10-15lbs but when I first got her at 11 weeks she was 5 or 6lbs and though I didn't like the look of the smallest size squeaky balls the next size up were just barely too big and now, almost full grown, are the perfect size (about proportional to a full sized tennis ball in a lab's mouth). There should be 2" (S), 2.5" (M), 3.25" (LG) and a 4" (XLG)- I think I use the 2.5" ones. I absolutely love them and my puppy goes wild for them.

I've never bought any of the more durable rubber balls (like those posted above) but my Lab/BC mix did once find one at the beach and loved it. We ended up bringing it home and washing it off and it's now her favorite, even more than tennis balls. I bet they'd be perfect for a teething puppy.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good memory- yes, a cockapoo. He/she will be 5 pounds when coming home and 20-25 pounds full grown. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at those!

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Tennis balls are too big for Molly too and I also don't like her to chew on them because they are like sandpaper to a dogs teeth and will wear them down.........What we found are the perfect size are raquet balls or handballs, they come 3 to a pack and cost less than $5 at Walmart.

Reactions: MHDDOG2016

·
Registered
641 Posts
Kong also makes a ball that has handles molded into the shape of the ball, and that might make it easier for a small dog to hold onto, as he/she could get just the handle in his/her mouth and carry it around that way. My dog is around twenty-five pounds and is a seriously aggressive chewer, and he's had one of those balls for over a year, and not only is it still in one piece--it actually still squeaks. He did manage to break the squeaker in a second one, but it also is still entirely in one piece.

They make that style of ball in three sizes too. I've gone with the mid-size one, but your pup might make use of the smallest size. They do have a small tennis ball inside the larger ball (the ball's translucent, so you can see the smaller ball inside the larger ball), which some might find worrisome, but my dog hasn't been able to come close to puncturing the larger ball and he once cracked a puppy Kong and peeled it like an apple to get to the treat in the end of it.

I think the mid-size one runs around $12, but I think the investment was worth it because he was unable to destroy it and still enjoys playing with it. He actually has a smaller Kong ball that I didn't think would be as durable--around the size of a tennis ball--and he plays with that less, but it still squeaks too. He will sometimes just lie there with it in his mouth, squeaking it over and over again (which is why he's allowed to play with it less--if he played with it more, I'd be the one breaking its squeaker).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Try the 2" (small) chuck-it balls. When I brought my klee kai home he was 5.5lbs (@8 weeks). He's now 17.5 lbs (@8 months) and they are still too big for him to swallow (but he was able to pick them up and play with them even at 8 weeks). We now play fetch mostly with tennis ball size balls (2.5"); however, I sometimes do use the smaller ones in a pinch (or if it's really wet out as they don't soak up water). He also has a 4" chuck it ball which he is occasionally able to carry in his mouth (it's pretty funny when he tries). Normally that one is just kicked around and chased.

·
Registered
641 Posts
The Kong ball I mentioned upthread--the one with built-in handles--is called a Jumbler ball. It also comes in a football-style, as opposed to your regular, spherical ball, if that would appeal to you or your prospective puppy.

While the Jumblers have held up for my aggressive chewer, they aren't quite as heavy as your basic Kong, so they're less clunky for games of fetch. My dog also prefers something a little less hard for playing fetch, so he prefers the Jumblers for that reason too.

Kong also makes a series of squeak balls that are vaguely shaped like animals--pigs, bears etc.--that lasted less long for my boy, but might work out okay for a puppy. Or a dog who wasn't on a mission to destroy all the toys in his path....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.