Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved into a new house yesterday, and unlike my last apartment this one has a second story. That means my chubby little shih tzu has stairs to climb for the first time in her life. At first I thought this was good and might help her shed a couple of those extra pounds, but my mom is worried that it'll "ruin her legs" like it did her boston terrier when she was my age. She suggests that I carry her up and down the stairs every time I go. For obvious reasons, I'd rather not do that, but I will if they pose a real risk to her health. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Are the steps slippery, or are they carpeted? How steep are the steps, meaning, how vertical does she have to be to negotiate the steps. If she treats the stairs like they are a nascar track, you will probably have to discourage her use of them. We live in a tri-level, and ours does ok with the steps, which in our case are carpeted. Though right now ours is dealing with something in her neck, not sure exactly what's going on, but I have been carrying her up and down. We did X-rays last week, had an MRI done today, still not clear what's going on.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Sounds like she can get up them ok, probably more difficult for her to come down them, though. I would probably be inclined to carry her down the steps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts