Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tribble, my Japanese Chin has terrible teeth. They are crooked and crowded and just generally a mess. At less than 1.5 years, despite daily toothbrushing, he was having a lot of problems with tartar and bad breath. So now I give him raw bones- chicken or turkey neck pieces, chicken backs, etc every few days. The vet has told me he went from a stage 3 peridontal disease down to stage 1. Everything is much better EXCEPT he has a lot of trouble with them. His teeth are so crooked that he cant shear through the meat. His jaws can crunch the bones no problem, but he ends up with this gummy mass of meat and crushed bone that he cannot break pieces off of. So, he has nasty meat bits in his hair, all over his chest and this big gummy thing that he doesn't want to give up, but is also frustrated and whining and clearly wants help. But I don't want to touch it!!!
Does anyone have any ideas? I give him pretty small pieces, and he eventually finishes it some how, but he whines and thrashes around in his crate and then I have to use a million baby wipes and brush him out and it is just gross...

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to help him out a little? Or how to help me out a little (grooming, containment, whatever)? I suppose worst case scenario, I could just leave the room. :p

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Heavy duty salad tongs for grabbing nasty chewed things. I keep several pairs for just that purpose. ;)

Not sure for the grooming. Neither of mine makes that big of a mess. If you can stand the smell though white viniger makes a decent disenfectant.

Waggo....she's saying she FEEDS him in his crate. Which is a good idea for raw feeding as it limits the areas that have to be cleaned. And since its HELPING his teeth I'd say stopping just because its gross is not exactly a great option.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
What about putting a shirt on him while he eats it? It may not stop some of the juice from getting to his hair, but it should stop the meat bits from getting stuck on his chest.

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
What about taking a meat mallet and pre crushing the bones? That may make it a little easier for him.

I love the shirt idea too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: ChelseaMorning

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rain, I love the shirt idea!!! I will definitely try that!! There is nothing worst than picking bone and goo bits out of his coat!

As for crushing QM, he doesn't have any problem with the crushing part- if the bones were clean he could crunch them right up (but he wouldn't because they would be too boring) but because his teeth are so misaligned he just can't bite chunks off once they are crushed, he just has to kinda suck on them.

Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
What about something smaller like chicken wings? They might fit more into his mouth so as he crunches, the pieces that come off stay there.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doggy Braces! (Yes, they do exist lol).
I feel like this option has a high price point. lol. It isn't THAT bad.

Tigger, he does do better with wings. I should probably just stick with those until I see how Rain's shirt idea works.

Ruth, I found some tongs! WAY better than washing my hands 1000 times!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts