Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I was hoping someone could answer a question for me, it seems to me most times I give my dog a command, she'll get in my face and slowly lick her chops before she obeys. To me it feels like shes telling me off however thats putting human emotion in it. Is there anything to be read into this behaviour or is she really telling me where to go???

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sometimes licking the chops is a behavior of nervousness. When a dog gets nervous, or tense, they lick their chops and turn away, avoiding eye contact. Getting into your face, I always though t was a form of dominance. They are in your space, and telling you, "I am boss". Anyone else?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow thank you. The answer makes allot of sense with my dog shes 1/2 wolf so dominance is always an on going battle, it's why shes perfect for me. I believe she does it for both depending on the situation. Battling for dominance I can handle(properly), I was making sure it wasn't threating. I found your reply very helpful thank you :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Might also be your dog is or was used to treats for commands, and is expecting a treat.

I had a dog a while back that smilled when anxious or nervous, looked like he was growling and showing teeth, but he would just sit there wag his tail and smile at us...

Dogs do pick up habits you know ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts