Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 11 years old female maltese have been acting strange at nights for the last couple of days.
She usually sleeps all night long in her own bed by my mom´s side.
However, she started crying for now reason in the middle of the night.

I made sure to cuddle her, I even gave her some food (she´s got a bit of overweight ever since she was neutered a year ago), because I thought she was a bit hungry. She seemed OK then to sleep on my own bed.

The next day she slept as usual so I thought it was a one time thing. However, yesterday night it was the same. I found her staring at my right by the side of my bed. I moved her to my bed where she slept without issue for about 4 hours until she wanted to drink some water and pee (she has a special part of the bathroom for her).
After that, she started to cry just like a few nights ago staring at the stairs. I ended up bringing her down to sleep in her bed there (she has beds all over the house, as she can no longer do stairs)

I´ve read that old dogs are prone to become senile and develop this kind of behaviour. That they get restess & anxious at night...

I´ve read that trying to tire them out during the day (which is not that easy, as she is not really up to a lot of exercise these days). Also I made sure yesterday to keep her engaged in as many activities (also prevented her for sleeping a few times).

Is there any trick that has worked for you to make her sleep thru the night? Any advise?

I am just so worried
:(

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,798 Posts
I'd have a word with your vet. There are medications that can help if it is canine cognitive dysfunction but I'd have thought 11 is not that old for a Maltese.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
The first thing to do whenever any behavior changes is to take the dog for a vet check up so you can rule out or treat any medical issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts