Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2009 my fiance and I adopted a chihuahua/poodle mix who was 7 years old. His name is Charlie, for confusion's sake. Charlie's now thirteen and he has begun to never sleep. Well, to say he doesn't sleep is a lie, but it's when he sleeps and what he does to sleep that is becoming a problem.

My fiance works noon to 8pm Mon-Fri. I work either 11am-7pm or 5pm-2am depending on the day. This means that Charlie, for the most part, gets multiple days a week that he can sleep for 6+ hours at home alone. The fiance sleeps midnight-9am and I sleep around 5am to 2pm.

The problem we have is that because Charlie can sleep in the day he barely sleeps at night. If he does sleep in bed he wakes up at 7am and DEMANDS attention. I'm first up and I let him in and out but he just whines for my fiance to get up and just lay with him in the living room. Charlie won't stop whining until he gets up and sleeps with him in the living room. We have let him whine for over an hour but he just keeps at it.

Every morning is the same. 7am Charlie needs outside, 710am he starts whining and we give in at around 730am and my fiance sleeps with him on the couch. It's not even like he needs attention or anything; he just needs my fiance to sleep with him on the couch. He doesn't much care for me because my fiance coddles him like noneother. If I go out to the couch he just runs to the bedroom door and whines for my fiance.

What can we do to stop this? I've suggested not putting him in bed at night but he still whines at 7am to go out. I'm all for stopping the coddling but my fiance has none of it and babies his every need. All I want is my dog to sleep in just a few more hours. I'm desperate. I even suggested getting a cage to put him in at night and the mere suggestion made me the devil of our household. We tried putting a baby gate up down the hallway but instead of whining at the door he scratches at the gate which is even more annoying.

Any help is appreciated. I can't stand it anymore and just want relief.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
813 Posts
How much exercise does Charlie get every day? If he sleeps a lot during the day, he can't be expected to sleep a lot during the night.

Your fiancé needs sorting out, without his co-operation things will not change.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately he does not get much exercise. He has never been much of an active dog. He doesn't play with toys (we've tried everything) and he likes just sitting around. He does go outside regularly and sniff around but if I start to play with him he'll run back to his normal sitting place and just watch me. Some days my fiance will take him to his parents house and he LOVES it there and he'll run around for a few minutes when he gets there. But even those nights he's still pretty sleepless.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts