Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And her sleeping habits are different from our dog, Maddie's, sleeping habits. First off, they really are sister's, same litter - my boss had her, but can't keep her. I said, "give her to me - I already have her sister! What's one more puppy?!" They are 11 month old Golden Retriever's - and they are TERRIFIC. That said...Coco, the newly adopted puppy, has been sleeping in a crate, while we stopped having Maddie sleep in a crate at about 8 months old (with no problems). We tried to have them both sleep on dog beds in the family room, but whenever Coco wakes up for any reason, she wakes Maddie up and wants to play for at least 30-45 minutes. This wouldn't be an issue if it weren't every couple of hours beginning at about 12:30am and either me or my husband, has been sleeping on the sofa, to keep an eye on them & to keep them from getting too rambunctious. I kinda hate putting Coco back in a crate, because I don't want her to feel like she's being punished, but I do want both dogs (as well as us) to get some sleep.
Any suggestions folks?! Thanks, Becky

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I would just crate both dogs-she's going to bark around now to start with, but with zero attention they'd eventually settle down and everyone could learn to sleep again.

Also I'd just like to warn you that litter mates tend to become very reliant on each other and have a lot more problems than simply two dogs that are from different litters. They will need time separated, including for all training (walks, etc). Eventually things get easier but as puppies they area lot more work and you should look into other threads about litter mates as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you - it's definitely worth a try! And thanks for the info regarding littermates, I'll start checking them out now!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I would just crate both dogs-she's going to bark around now to start with, but with zero attention they'd eventually settle down and everyone could learn to sleep again.

Also I'd just like to warn you that litter mates tend to become very reliant on each other and have a lot more problems than simply two dogs that are from different litters. They will need time separated, including for all training (walks, etc). Eventually things get easier but as puppies they area lot more work and you should look into other threads about litter mates as well.
Considering there dogs have been a part for 11 months, I don't think litter mate syndrome is going to be much of a problem anymore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, that's a good point too. They have been playing together pretty regularly, since they don't live far from us. At the risk of sounding like an idiot, you don't think they "know" they're related? I thought maybe they had a connection (albeit scent based).

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Yea but it's not a bad thing to know about, and the reading won't hurt. It's better to prevent something before it happens, imo, and be ready for it if there's even the slightest hint that it could be a problem.

They can definitely play around together, I would just be a bit careful and try to walk them separately sometimes and do training separately sometimes as well. Plus, it would help your confidence to know they can be well behaved under a bunch of circumstances!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts