Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I recently adopted an almost 2 year old great dane. He is crate trained but doesn't love going in his crate and he will cry a little. Today I found him in my first dogs crate sleeping happily. This made me think to try putting a blanket that smells like my other dog in his crate. Low and behold he ran right in and laid down! Because of the size of his crate he is in the room next to ours. Currently our first dog's crate is still in our bedroom. We are thinking about trying to shift the crates so both can be in the room together. Both dogs have been in and out of each others crates with no issues or aggression. I just don't want to upset our first dog. Are we crazy for wanting them to be together, but in separate crates? Anyone have experience with this?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've done it before, no problem. Really, when we got our young adult, we just let him sleep wherever he wanted, and my other dogs didn't care at all.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I don't see why the crates could not be beside each other :) provided they get along!

We have a new pup since he was 10 weeks old, he is now 5 months. He has always been in his crate at night, but now we leave the crate door open and he will fall asleep in our bed first, and then during the night go into his crate for a while and then come back again sometime in the early morning hours. I think he might be getting too warm or too crowded.
Our senior dog will go to bed with us as well, and she will fall asleep with a bit of distance between herself and the pup, but in the morning they wake up beside and over each other.

If you think your other dog is becoming a bit apprehensive with the new dog you can always try again later to move the crates next to each other, once their relationship is a bit more established.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts