Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dog is generally fine in her crate at night and can make it through the night (she usually starts whining to go out around 6 or 7, as that's when we usually get up). We've been wanting to have her stay with us in our bed at night, though. She hates going into the crate and having one less block of time each day where she has to go in it. However, she wakes us up in the middle of the night having to go out. If she can make it through the night in her crate why can't she in bed? She's 10 months old, so she CAN hold it that long. Is there anything we could do to convince her to just wait til morning?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Just guessing, but she probably gets bored during the night, and when in bed, you are very convenient to go after for attention. Probably time will get her to sleep through the night, where ever she is.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Pax was similar at that age when I let him start sleeping in my bed...he wanted to go out and would also wake me up at the crack of dawn every morning. I killed two birds with one stone. I trained him to go out and go pee on command as the last thing we did before bed time. His reward was...and still is...a large handful of kibble. Part of his waking me up was hunger. As a result, he now goes pee right before bed, gets a nighttime snack which kept him from waking up too early from hunger and sleeps solid through the night. It was almost instantaneous. Now I have to get HIM outta bed in the morning.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What confuses me is that she's fine all night in the crate. No whining or barking. She doesn't have food or water in either situation. Bathrooming is the same both ways.

Funny thing is, last night I came home late and got into bed and she wasn't settling, and kept getting up and messing around and I finally said "Goldie, if you don't get into bed and settle right now I'm going to put you in the crate for the night." She immediately looked toward me, hopped up on the bed, and settled, sleeping until 5:30.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts