Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i have a neutered male that just turned one, about 7 weeks ago he started randomly urinating in his sleep and he just sleeps in it:( well the vet has rulled out uti, stones and all his "plumbing" is ok so hes just calling it sleep incontinence(its not every night) and started him on proin before bed. I'm just so hesitant about starting it because hes so young, i have a lot of questions i wished i would have asked now that i'm home. Has anyone been thru this:confused: looking for any advise,tips, hoping he grows out of it

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Maybe like a little kid, you need to wake him during the night for a quick trip out to pee, at least temporarily.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
My almost 2 year old dog has spay incontinence. She's been on 2 tablets of Proin every day since she was 5 months old. It's not harmful at all and it definitely helps. I don't know how bad your dog's "leaking" is but it should have some effect.

You can try some other methods like waiting or restricting water for 2 hours before bed but the Proin isn't as scary as it sounds when you first start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for responding, I'm going to attempt to put a belly band on him at night and get up and let him out half way through our sleep schedule, but it's nice to hear your young dog does ok on proin because i might have to start it, he gets a awful rash from sleeping in his own urine

·
Registered
39 Posts
There are surprisingly a lot of dogs that have to start on Proin early, and most don't have any issues with it, so I wouldn't worry about it! I certainly understand being hesitant to give a young dog meds like that, but it honestly will likely help a lot .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts