Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hiya, how are you all?

Ok well heres the problem, I have my little sky pup and have had since she was 8 weeks old, she will be 4yrs in october, she was hit by a car around 2 yrs ago breaking her hip, she has fully physically recovered since but not mentally.

Everytime there is a car coming up behind her on any road she pulls and trys to get away from it no matter how far away from the road she is.

I always make her walk on the inside of the path so she is furthest away from the road.. as soon as there is a car, her head looks back and she pulls back until it goes past her which is when she jumps and tries to run away from it.

I would love any advice on how to stop her from being scared of cars..

thanks so much...

Dave and Sky

·
Registered
135 Posts
How do you react when she tries to escape? Is she only afraid of cars going by or is she afraid to walk past parked cars, too? Will she ride in a car without fear?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi there,
I hope that I can be of some assistance.....All I know is that my German Shepherd was hit by a car at 8 months of age, leaving me with a similar problem.
She is now 3 years and has totally learnt her 'road rules'. By that I mean that we never ever attempt to cross any road on our walks before I tell her to "stop and sit" on the kerb and stay there until I check that there are no cars at all and I say an "OK" to allow her to cross with me on the leash.
With this consistent training she now seems keen to cross at times even when there are cars present, so that she can get to the park and have her fun. Maybe you could give this a try. Good luck!
Cheers Jewels

1 - 3 of 3 Posts