Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just added a new addition to the family yesterday after work. Her name is Addie and she is a 2 year old Bullmastiff and Dane mix. She is real skittish and shy, but she is very sweet. She gets along with our 9 year old Beagle. But doesn't get close to me or my girlfriend, we have been able to pet her a few times. She did sleep in our bed with us last night but other than that she keeps her distance. What are some ways we can help her open up and trust us?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Time and lots of patience! Let her get comfortable in her new home and make yourselves the bearers of all things good......drop treats as you pass her as she is lying down, praise her , use a calm steady manner, no raised voices! Don't force your attention on her....let her seek you out and treat her every time she does (either keep a pocketful or locate stashes around the house that can be accessed at all times) It usually takes a few weeks before you will see her true personality 'blossom'.... be patient and you will create a wonderful bond with her!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts