Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my flatmate (who is african) found a hedgehog on the side of the road and brought it home. At first I didn't know what he was talking about so because he called it a porcupine. When I realised it was in a shoebox in my living room I asked a few more questions... :eyeroll:

He was just going to release it somewhere but I was very concerned because I thought it should have been in hibernation by now. He didn't even know what hibernation was and didn't want me to call some rescue organisation to come and get it. :ponder:

So I nagged and nagged until he gave up and basically told me I could be responsible for it then :thumbsup:

So I put it in Haraldur's empty vivarium (a sad/happy coincidence) and started googling and calling people. A hedgehog lady told me to weigh it, if it were over 600 grams It would be best to release it close to the place he found it, if its under it needed to go to a center or a vets. Weighed it, it was barely 300 grams :( The autumn has been warm but a cold snap is coming next week and he would have gone into hibernation and never wake up again. They need to be over 600 grams to survive the hibernation.

So I took it to a local vet he's going to stay there and get tested for lung worms and such and then go to a rescue to be fatten up I suppose, hopefully he/she will be released one day.

I named it Porcupine because of my flatmates misunderstanding :D

Attachments

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Poor little thing. Looks so scared.

The little guy/girl is so lucky to have found you. You most likely saved a life today! Good going. Kudos.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Living in Africa, we find quite a lot of them in the garden. The dogs think they're some funny kind of ball. We even have one that's a screamer. He blows himself up and huffs and puffs and screams if the dogs come near. They're cute little creatures, but some can be quite stinky. Last summer I was fortunate enough to witness hedgehogs doing their mating ritual or whatever you could call that. The little guy\gal is lucky that you guys found him.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Living in Africa, we find quite a lot of them in the garden. The dogs think they're some funny kind of ball. We even have one that's a screamer. He blows himself up and huffs and puffs and screams if the dogs come near. They're cute little creatures, but some can be quite stinky. Last summer I was fortunate enough to witness hedgehogs doing their mating ritual or whatever you could call that. The little guy\gal is lucky that you guys found him.
that one was rather stinky too and had fleas :mad: yuck. Well thats what you get with wild animals.

funny that you should mention Africa, my flatmate who found him and took him home is african and he kept saying that he had a porcupine. :confused:

And he looked bewildered when I told him that it probably should be in hibernation now. He didnt know what that was.

Clearly his nationality was no excuse, I thought it might have been because there are no hedgehogs in Africa then I thought about and remembered yes there are, different types of them though. I dont understand that man. :eyeroll:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Similar spiny creature. Just a little shall we say more dangerous? Especially if you're a dog. We see porcupines from time to time, but we try to avoid them. And there is very little about them that is remotely cute.

image.jpg

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
I've never seen a wild hedgehog before, how cool. They're kept as pets pretty commonly here.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So are you going to call him Porky for short? I think that would be an ambitious name, given the circumstances :D
Well I dont know what happened to porky, he was a wild animal and did not belong in my Vivarium but in the wild. I took him to a local vets and trust that they did what was best. I´ve been so busy with university work that I forgot to call and ask what happened.

But the weather is really horrible now so its a good thing he was caught. He should be hibernating but he was too skinny to survive it.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Sorry this is extremely late, but what type of hedgehogs live in the wild around there? I know that the hedgehog that @Cali posted is an African Pygmy Hedgehog which is the most common for people who wish to keep hedgehogs as pets, seeing as how they stay relatively small.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry this is extremely late, but what type of hedgehogs live in the wild around there? I know that the hedgehog that @Cali posted is an African Pygmy Hedgehog which is the most common for people who wish to keep hedgehogs as pets, seeing as how they stay relatively small.
its the common or European hedgehog. they dont get very big, no hedgehog does so i dont know how much smaller a pygmy species is.

European hedgehog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
677 Posts
Well done for taking him somewhere to get the proper help. Hedgehogs are suffering a very serious decline in the uk, its getting very worrying to be honest and rescues are doing all they can to get the word out about how to help hogs near you. well done for helping him and getting the help it needed..so many people find a wild animal and decide to 'give it a go'..then by the time they realise they cant do it and hand the animal over to someone who knows what they are doing it may be too late for the animal..:(

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well done for taking him somewhere to get the proper help. Hedgehogs are suffering a very serious decline in the uk, its getting very worrying to be honest and rescues are doing all they can to get the word out about how to help hogs near you. well done for helping him and getting the help it needed..so many people find a wild animal and decide to 'give it a go'..then by the time they realise they cant do it and hand the animal over to someone who knows what they are doing it may be too late for the animal..:(
Thats what my flatmate thought, he fed him boiled eggs :confused: didnt even know what hibernation was. Looked at me like I was an idiot when I explained that animals in the north (and some in deserts) go to sleep for several months.

Maybe i should lend him some of my attenborough books and dvd's.

I dont know what happened to porcupine but he was at the vets last time I heard. Either he was treated, fed and released or at worst humanely euthanised if he was too ill.

Reactions: secrets0stolen

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Do not worry guys, we have a ton of hedgehogs over here ;)

Dogs are scared of them :D Saara once found one and wanted to grab it but ofcourse it went horribly wrong and she got poked in the nose. Now when she sees one, she makes a disgusted face and walks away in a big circle.

They are very cute!

Sometimes they live very close to houses and people put milk out for them. Not sure how smart that is.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No they are lactose intolerant, gives them diarrhoea and they can die from dehydration

·
Registered
722 Posts
Secrets0stolen, you are so lucky your dogs are scared of them. Mine think they're some sort of spiky ball that moves by itself sometimes. I have actually woken up from a hedgehog screaming and throwing a fit because the dogs had a hold of him. We've seen a porcupine a few times, but he thankfully didn't stick around for long.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts