Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all i got a question.. you see i've got a german shepherd and he is 2 and a half and i am worried about him.he is dead skinny.we give him food three times a day.its can food and we dont see any problems with him not eating.acually he eats his food really fast like he wasnt being fed from years.we got him when he was 9 months,from people that didnt care for him proply.

he was outside all the time but he didnt have any germs at all he was all good.but he is so skinny.i dont know mabye its becouse he is a cross bread with some other dog.also the wet is really really far away from where i live!

Please help somebody!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Hey all i got a question.. you see i've got a german shepherd and he is 2 and a half and i am worried about him.he is dead skinny.we give him food three times a day.its can food and we dont see any problems with him not eating.acually he eats his food really fast like he wasnt being fed from years.we got him when he was 9 months,from people that didnt care for him proply.

he was outside all the time but he didnt have any germs at all he was all good.but he is so skinny.i dont know mabye its becouse he is a cross bread with some other dog.also the wet is really really far away from where i live!

Please help somebody!
I have heard that dogs do not get full nutrition from canned food but this could be wrong. Have you tried a fattening dry food?

Also German Shepherds are known to have different stomach and intestine diseases, one being IBD where they do not digest their food completely and have soft stools all the time. Does your dog have normal stools? I think he needs to go to the vet asap. Dogs who are malnutritioned can have many other problems and its very unhealthy to let it go on for too long.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Could be anything from worms, endocrine disorders, metabolism disorders to cancer.. Needs a vet.

It doesn't matter how far away the vet is, if you aren't willing to make the drive don't own a dog.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have heard that dogs do not get full nutrition from canned food but this could be wrong. Have you tried a fattening dry food?

Also German Shepherds are known to have different stomach and intestine diseases, one being IBD where they do not digest their food completely and have soft stools all the time. Does your dog have normal stools? I think he needs to go to the vet asap. Dogs who are malnutritioned can have many other problems and its very unhealthy to let it go on for too long.

yes,defenitly he has normal stools iam sure of this 100%...no i have not tried fattening food yet but i will sure try.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be anything from worms, endocrine disorders, metabolism disorders to cancer.. Needs a vet.

It doesn't matter how far away the vet is, if you aren't willing to make the drive don't own a dog.

maybe it is what you said.

i was going first to ask you all.iam not like some other owners that buy a dog for no reason and treat it like voo doo doll.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
yes,defenitly he has normal stools iam sure of this 100%...no i have not tried fattening food yet but i will sure try.

I would not wait much longer to have him seen. I agree this could be a parasite or even cancer. He may need bloodwork and other tests but I think it should be done. For now I would fatten up his food, canned food should really only be an additive to other food. Dry is better for their teeth and gums too, with canned you are looking at dentals needed frequently. But please have him seen by your vet sooner than later. GL

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would take him to a vet for a good check-up to make sure there isn't something seriously wrong with him. German Shepherds shouldn't be skinny.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Please help somebody!

your shep probably has pancreatic insufficiency. i have a shep that has this. same symptoms. you need to get viokase V and put on his food at each meal. just look it up on the web. it is expensive, but it works. good luck

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
your shep probably has pancreatic insufficiency. i have a shep that has this. same symptoms. you need to get viokase V and put on his food at each meal. just look it up on the web. it is expensive, but it works. good luck
I think this is something a vet needs to diagnose....am I wrong? Can't giving them viokase V be detrimental if the dog does not have this problem? And isn't viokase a RX?

·
Banned
32 Posts
Well German Shepherds ARE relitively skinny until they hit maturity around 3-4 years. They shouldnt be underweight. If he is neutered he may never fill out since its the hormones that make him fill out, and since neutering throws the whole body out of wack he may never fill out.

Try feeding him a high energy formula. But please have him dewormed. He should also be on heartworm preventative, also he should have blood screen done.

If all checks out just feed him a different food.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Well German Shepherds ARE relitively skinny until they hit maturity around 3-4 years. They shouldnt be underweight. If he is neutered he may never fill out since its the hormones that make him fill out, and since neutering throws the whole body out of wack he may never fill out.

Try feeding him a high energy formula. But please have him dewormed. He should also be on heartworm preventative, also he should have blood screen done.

If all checks out just feed him a different food.
LOL This is backwards. Neutering is the cause of obesity not the opposite. Dogs who ARE altered are typically heavier than dogs who ARE NOT altered. Neutering does not throw a dogs body out of whack please do not listen to this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The best you can do to make your dog healthy and gain some weight, is that by feeding a puppy formula that is more effective than adult formula as I read that. Or either you can add more proteins on your dog diet.

·
Banned
32 Posts
Filling out and overweight are two seperate things. Regardless of what anyone says since because I am not one to agree with neuter that makes me the bad guy and I feel I am being attacked. But thats alright cause it wont change my views. A dog needs its hormones to keep its system in check. Just like we humans do when we have our insides scooped out or tubes cut.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Filling out and overweight are two seperate things. Regardless of what anyone says since because I am not one to agree with neuter that makes me the bad guy and I feel I am being attacked. But thats alright cause it wont change my views. A dog needs its hormones to keep its system in check. Just like we humans do when we have our insides scooped out or tubes cut.
But neither are losing weight...fixed animals dont lose weight.

:eyeroll: nobody is attacking but giving their opinion against yours.

Read up on anatomy and hormone differences between humans and animals before trying to give "facts". Dogs do NOT need hormones to be dogs.

Some animals HAVE TO BE ALTERED for life saving reasons, ie the female ferret, if she does not breed during a heat cycle she will die...so they must be fixed to save their life, they do not experience aggression because of it. Female dogs can get pyometra which kills if not caught in time. Cancer in males (not just in the testes either).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.