Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We got our dog at the end of October. After about a month with us she developed a red thumbnail size welt under her skin on her shoulder that eventually turned into a big old skin tag and fell off (along with hair, super tasty! lol). Then she began getting a little balding on the middle of her back and we went to the vet. Vets first suspicion was ringworm, plucked some fur for testing and started on an Rx ointment after shaving that spot down to make it easier to put the ointment on. Redness would come and go on her back. Vet calls 2 weeks later and says it wasn't ringworm but is suspecting a bacterial skin infection and puts her on 3 weeks of antibiotics. Redness comes and goes. Like one day of flare up a week. So last week (I think? maybe the 22nd?) I switched to a grain free salmon and pea food from Iams puppy chicken food. I've seen improvement in her fur in that time. Her shoulder fur is growing in, that red welt is going down in size and is looking like it's in healing mode moreso than it has any time in the past month. She's even growing fur on her lower belly that wasn't there before. No other spots than these two have formed.

The problem is the shaved spot on her back. It keeps flaring up! Yesterday I went out and came back to her back shaved bald spot red as a tomato. By the next morning it had gone down to a pink, during the day it's been various shades of pink. I gave her some Benadryl and it went down to a very faint pink. It'll look great for days but then random inexplicable flare ups to red. It doesn't seem itchy to her, she's not really scratching it or biting at it. So I'm wondering if it is something in the environment coming into contact with her skin that is causing it. Anyone have experience with this? I have spent $1200 on vet care in the past 5 months so I'm pretty tapped out and want to avoid allergy testing if I can help it, especially if it's something that will go away once her fur grows back in. I do plan on giving her a bath after dinner tonight to wash away any allergens that might be on there. I have debated on using vaseline as a barrier to prevent whatever it is from coming into contact with her skin. Attached is a picture (best i could do, sorry and it's f. Thanks for reading this far and any help you may have!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I think it is a hot spot and it still might be the food. I would try a food with out chicken or fish. A meat your dog has never eaten. Zignature and Go Sensitive and shine have single protein foods you could try. I would skip the Vaseline and try some Aloe Vera instead. It will soothe and dry out the spot. Kefir or yogurt would be good also to help restore balance to the stomach after the antibiotics.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I think it's a hotspot too, but I don't think another food change is needed. Is it possible your dog is licking it? I would try a cone when not supervised. I would assume the ointment the vet gave was Hibitane cream, if so, I would clean the area with a chlorahmexidine scrub (purchased at your vet, it's the same scrub they use for surgery patients as it's an antiseptic/antibacterial), apply the cream, and put a cone on. Also I would make sure none of the other dogs have access to licking that area either by keeping them separate when not supervised. I would also start the her on a fish oil supplement to help the skin ongoing.

If she's not licking it, it could be possibly a reaction to something new in the environment. Have you changed laundry soap recently? New rug? New blankets? Use of a humidifier or not? My lab mix had a rash on her under belly all because we bought a new duvet cover that has a material blend she's allergic to - no flannel for her!

I've also used vetericyn with great results when my lab mix rubbed her fur off of her legs jumping over logs. http://vetericyn.com

Reactions: LuckySarah

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi!

Thanks for your input. I will go out and buy some Vetericyn and aloe vera, pure i'm guessing will be best. The ointment the vet had her on (assuming it was ringworm) was Tresaderm.

I haven't changed laundry soap or anything, everything is exactly the same as it was when she first got here lol, we are boring and predictable.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Tresaderm has antibacterial and antifungal properties. It should work fine for the hot spot. E collar to prevent licking. Keeping the spot clean and most importantly dry. If no improvement and it is deep pyoderma oral antibiotics maybe needed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot to mention, after her bath last night it really got much much better and has pretty much been gone since.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We did that ointment stuff for almost 2 weeks during which flareups would still occur. She was on Cephalexin after that for 3 weeks. She did have an odd smell to her that went away after the antibiotics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts