Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My border collie/husky pound puppy came down with a 106 degree fever last night and her skin was sensitive to the touch. Upon inspection of her back she had lots of red bumps and a few open wounds. She was not scratching anything at this point and I had given her a good rub down the night before (with no pain). I gave her a Benadryl earlier in the day when I noticed the sensitive skin, but she was worse in the evening so we went straight to the vet.

I got her to the vet within the hour, where I found out she had a fever. They did some blood work and found nothing special other than that she was fighting something off, white blood cell count high was high. They prescribed Rimadyl and Cephalexin and she is doing much better in 24 hours of this. However her lesions that were open and bleeding are still open. The vet was unsure of what this could be but we needed to get her fever down as soon as possible. She seems a little less sensitive to the touch, other than on the nasty spots. I have Googled her symptoms with not much luck and I gave her a bath Saturday so I am pretty sure no prolonged tick exposure since I pet and scratch her daily. Has anyone heard of anything like this before? She is between 1-2 years old and they think border collie and husky, but I think maybe a little Lab too. This all come on within a 24 hour period and has improved quickly.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Sounds like some sort of infection, I'm glad that she is doing better now.

Have you figured out what could have caused the wounds, and do they look infected?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ouch

She is getting less sensitive so i can peek in at her wounds but some of them look like puncture wounds. On the back of her neck behind one ear she has 2 puncture looking wounds that are about 1/4 inch apart. I'm thinking she either got bit by something or cat claws maybe?

The other spots on her looks like small blood blisters under the skin. She seems to be feeling better than Monday but not 100%. Normally she is a crazy puppy, and the last few days has been really sleepy.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Are there other pets in the house that could have caused those injuries? is she an outside dog?

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
If it's a cat bite then it could have abscessed, I've seen them do that and generally they have to be drained and the person or animal put on an antibiotic.

Could it have been a snake?

Your best bet may be to show the puncture wounds to the vet and ask what he thinks.

Reactions: kelly528

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
Maybe ant bites? or some other type of bug.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the responses. We do not have any other pets in the house, and I had just given her a good bath so I don't think she would have gotten into any bugs... I checked her really well for ticks or fleas. She is an indoor dog and we are working on getting a fence put in so she isn't outside without close supervision. However she got away from me for 10 minutes and was in the direction of a pretty nasty cat down the street. She seems to be healing up quite well. Large sections of her back are scabs, and she is getting itchy. The vet seemed more concerned about curing it than finding out what it was. Hopefully we don't see it again.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I really do think she got into a scrap with that cat, and got her back clawed up. Cats can inflict some nasty wounds; we actually had a cat who died of an abscessed cat bite (mind you, we did not take him to the vet until it was really bad). Cats have these needle-like teeth and claws and as the vet explained it, they pretty much 'inject' bacteria into whatever they bite / claw: They leave small but deep wounds that close up fast and fester below the skin… yeah, not good!

In any case, I'm glad that he's being seen to by a vet and is improving with antibiotics. Do keep a close eye on her condition and keep in close contact with the vet for this… if the bacteria grows resistant to the antibiotic (as was the case for my cat), you want to change the course of action ASAP before you have a superinfection on your hands.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts