Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start with: I've already been to multiple vets. All I can get from them is "yeah dogs have a lot of bad skin issues in Hawaii" and "yeah the fleas are bad here." My area isn't known for great vets obviously. And going outside the area... requires crossing an ocean.

My dog is suffering. He is half Black Mouth Cur, half GSD. He is losing his hair, and is TERRIBLY itchy. He also currently has fleas, which seem completely unconcerned by any sort of preventative, topical or oral.

Here is what we have done so far:
1) switched him to grain free food
2) switched his preventative just in case the local fleas had developed an immunity.
3) began a war on fleas in the house using diatomaceous earth, excessive vacuuming, and essential oils. We cannot use chemical sprays in the air/carpet/furniture because we have parrots (thank God fleas don't like feathers!)
4) started him on DinoVite powder and Omega oils.

Still no luck. He has started chewing his skin to the point that he is bleeding. Vets are still just shrugging their shoulders and insisting "this is normal here."

More recently we have started to:
1) switch him to a limited ingredient diet including no meat byproduct
2) add daily brewers yeast tablets for support of skin and coat health
3) try anti bacterial anti fungal spray just in case that's the issue
4) incorporate itch soothing spray for when the itching is at its worst.

Any suggestions here? We are leaving the island in a few months, but this spring it has gotten worse than ever before and nothing seems to be working. The vets we have seen have been incredibly unhelpful; I cannot express how frustrating it has been. I've brought up things like skin scraping to test what's going on, or what he is allergic to; they practically roll their eyes at me! I'm used to vets being clueless about my birds, but this is a DOG and if this problem is so common here, why don't they have any ideas??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
300 Posts
I can just imagine how frustrated and helpless you must feel with that attitude from the vet when your dog is suffering. Have you tried a Seresto collar? They have had my boy tick and flea free for the past year. Im sure you can order it online.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was planning to until my friend got one; her dog started having seizures and when she pressed the issue with the company they ADMITTED that they knew that happened sometimes particularly with extra active dogs but the numbers were low enough that it was legally acceptable.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it's terrible. The things pet companies can get away with are really terrifying. From what I can tell if your dog didn't react right away you are probably safe though.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm guessing the topicals you mentioned have been tried (pyrethrin, fipronil, Imidacloprid), and found not to be effective? You have my deepest sympathies. I can't imagine the tolerance that flea populations must have built up in a climate that's always mild and has never seen a freeze... :::shudder:::

We use both Sentinel tabs and Frontline (fipronil) topical both to keep fleas and ticks at bay. While ticks have been ferocious mostly in the spring, they still, thank God, rarely bite, and we've never had issues with fleas here. Trust me, I count my blessings every year.

Getting him to stop damaging himself to relieve the itching is vital. My only other suggestion is medicated shampoo for his itching while you try to remove the fleas from the house (and then dousing him with the DE once he's out of the bath). There's a surprisingly good brand available at Walmart called ProSense that has good reviews and that you can get quickly, as well as this one available on both Amazon and ebay. Excellent reviews on Amazon for that one also. We've used the second one on our youngest, and it works very well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my dog had this disease and its just under skin ticks, you need to buy some drops from those ticks and pour it on dogs neck for 1-2 weeks. ask in vet about these drops from TICKS, because those ticks lives under dogs skin and thats why they have rashes and itchines. After that disease we bought for our dog amber collar from Amber teething necklaces with love and quality - Baby Amber Teething because we heard that its natural protection from fleas and all kinds of ticks so tfu tfu tfu it helps. :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just wanted to post an update while I'm here, we finally found a vet who cared. She switched him to a new preventative, put him on an antibiotic, gave him an injection for the itching by itself, and an antifungal antibacterial shampoo. He was itch free within 48 hours and flea free within a week. I did a lot of crying. We left Hawaii in July and haven't had a single problem since then!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts