Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, my dog, Sultan, has itching and scratches himself a lot, licks his paws and has what seem to be rashes

Yesterday, upon wakeup, he had this large area without hair in one of his hips (photo attached). And today it seems worse with a more intense red color.
Also, today another little spot appeared on his other hip, he licks himself a lot so i don't know if it's that or he's got an allergy.
I have other dogs and they dont have any symptoms so it may not be something contagious?

Other thing, i read about this pyoderma and that one of the causes may be bites from another dog since it weakens the dog's defenses, and just the day before the first symptom he was bitten by another dog
Could it be that? can i apply to him germicidal and antiseptic iodine?

Here is the folder with pictures
https://imgur.com/a/AKEeKIa

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
It sounds like hit spots, and coloidal silver will work great. I've also used Vetricyn as well when I was out of CS. Worked even faster I believe. But, if it's bacterial, it can't live in the presence of silver, so CS is a good option to start with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds great, since the vet just gave antibiotics but im hesistant to give him because of good bacteria kill and all that. What do you think?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Skin Infection Dog

On the other hand, bacteria infections are often secondary infections to allergies as they frequently occur when your dog breaks the skin from lots of scratching.

The most common causes for a dog skin infection are:

• Dogs that already suffer from allergies
  • Dogs that scratch or lick at their skin a lot (usually because of allergies)
  • Dogs that have floppy ears (especially the heavy, pendulum-type ears)
  • Breeds that have lots of skin folds, such as a Shar-Pei, or a Bulldog
Treatment:

• Vitamin E
  • Yogurt
  • Chamomile tea & Herbal Tea soaks
  • Ground oatmeal
  • Exercise
  • Epsom salt
  • Evening primrose oil
  • Treats with supplements

·
Registered
745 Posts
And aloe vera, straight from the plant is best (use the pulp inside) wash with a luke warm wet flannel after being outside before applying. I'm not sure where you live but wandering dew weed exposure can cause allergies. Also other plants that are poisinous to dogs like stinging nettle. You can google them, see what they look like & search for them in your garden & on walks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts