Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to think of new tricks to teach Mia and one trick that I've wanted her to learn was "sit pretty". I've looked at some videos online and because she doesn't quite have the muscles/strength developed to sit on her hind legs on her own, I have to help her up by having her rest her two front legs on my arm while I lift her up. Almost every time, she kinda does this hop backwards and doesn't really sit on her hind legs, so its usually the second attempt that she kind of gets it (I still have to assist her).

Eventually, when she gets used to sitting up I can just lure her up instead of lifting her with my arm...right?

But I'm wondering...is that the best way to do go about it? Will she eventually get it or are some dogs just not physically capable of sitting that way? She's just a little over 10 months.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
The key thing with doing this with younger dogs is you have to make sure they are in a nice tucked sit and not that lazy puppy sit to start or they'll never have any balance. :p

I used the starting part of
method to teach sit pretty to my guys. Maybe worth a try with Mia?

·
Registered
170 Posts
She is still pretty young yet. I think she will get stronger with age. She has to learn how to get her tail out of the way too. She'll figure that out.

My Aussie was three before she would sit up. It was more a matter of guiding her and working her when she was calm. Sam is incredibly strong from pulling. This is a conditioning exercise I use. At first I just got her up on her hind legs then gradually I held the reward longer as she learned to balance. I just placed the reward closer to her nose in the palm of my hand then worked her down to a sit. It's now pretty much a fun thing and I use it in class after a good exercise.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks @Shandula!! I like that peanut butter/wooden spoon trick!!! I'll try it with Mia!

That hug trick is sooooooooooooooo freaking cute!!!!! It made me go "AWWWW" haha

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks @Bentwings @PipsMom! Yeah I figured this was something that will take some time. I just wasn't sure if I was approaching it properly. Love that photo! So cute!

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
So, she REFUSED to lick the spoon at first like I was tricking her. She turned completely away and wouldn't look at me hahaha

After 2 attempts, we got this: https://youtu.be/3yCwjxfihl0

Not too bad :) I didn't have anyone to video me so you can't see her feet but you can tell that she lifts her front.
@Shandula - critique me :)

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
@Aspen726 - What a good girl! She was holding it even as you moved the spoon which is awesome! I would keep at that for a couple sessions!

If I HAD to give one critique, I wouldn't have let her lick the spoon once she fell over. I want her to know spoon and PB is for sitting with your paws up, but that's not a huge deal.

Reactions: Aspen726

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks guys! Pip definitely is proud of herself. I taught her sit-pretty with shaping and then targeting a target stick for duration. When I taught it, luring was still a lot for her, so that's the only reason I didn't use luring.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The spoon with peanut butter didn't work this morning...at first Mia didn't know what to do...she just sat there staring up at the spoon lol she jumped up a couple of times and one time she kinda of half stood up and held it for a couple of seconds but she wasn't sitting on her butt.

Are there any kind of exercises that would help strengthen those leg muscles? Her legs are pretty solid, the way she runs after her ball she's like a dart! But she's never used her muscles to sit up so she's not quite familiar with that position yet.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
I found I was able to teach Forbes to sit up (I use put em up) by luring him up and giving him my leg to steady himself on in the beginning. Eventually I was able to take my leg out of the equation and would reward for moments of suspension. Over time I would wait longer and longer to reward until I could get a decent amount of time of him sitting up.

Sitting up works their core muscles, which my trainer informed me was Forbes' weakness (and it was why he was dropping bars). Now we try to do 3-4 reps of 10-15 seconds a day sitting up. For us the key is finding a non slippery floor to do it on.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I think people expect it to happen pretty quickly, and it definitely takes some time, especially if your dog has weak core muscles.

Some exercises for you @yoshiposhi would be any sort of balance work. You can either use Fitpaws stuff, or even a couch cushion, hot water bottles, etc. Anything that is wobbly will help strengthen her core. Keep it easy to start (like just having front paws on and having back paws on something sturdy) and if you work compression (like shaping four paws in a box) also work extension.

Reactions: jclark343

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
@yoshiposhi the only reason that Aspen had the muscles to hold it is because we've been luring it with a treat for a loooong time. I would say consistently for 6 months. The only hold up we have now is removing the lure haha

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@jclark343 the leg! why didn't I think of that! I was using my arm and it was sort of awkward bending over while holding the peanut butter spoon.
@Shandula @Aspen726 yeah..I definitely need to be more patient haha I'm so used to her picking up tricks really quickly but this one is a little more involved. I like those exercise suggestions! I have a bosu ball I will try it with that. I'll have to get her to not be afraid of it first haha

·
Premium Member
11,876 Posts
Along the lines of a leg, you can also ask for a sit, move behind your dog whole nibbling a treat, and then lure up so back is against your legs. If you have your feet placed right it kinda helps some with the dog keeping feet tucked under and you can also use your free hand gently on the dog's chest initially to help even more with balance if need be.

Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
@Shandula @yoshiposhi !!!!!!!!!

:D

The spoon was not working at all... I think, like when I hold a treat above her, she was SO focused on that treat. I really thought about it and said, I'm going to integrate IYC! So, I had a treat in my hand, in a fist, held above her head. Once she got in position, I waited a few seconds and gave her the treat. Worked great!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.