Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short(ish), my sister's dog gets mad at her when she disciplines her in front of me while we're in the truck. My sister allows her free reign of the cab while we drive. Dangerous, yeah, but my sister is stubborn. Plus, that's besides the point. Anyway, her dog, a 1+ year pit bull, chases the cars that pass us by. She has also started to chase the windshield wipers. When my sister gets onto her (giving "verbal commands" of get in the back, no, and other such nonsense) when it's just the two of them, Angel listens. If I am riding along, she whines sharply or barks back at my sister, curl her lips slightly, and ram her nose into my sister's cheek. That's only with me in there. What does this mean (other than obvious misbehavior and a dog that desperately needs a trainer)?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I'm not sure if it means anything in particular but for me the first step would be a car restraint. Harnesses that attach to the seat belt or a crate work well. It removes access to your sister, stops the behavior from occurring and as an added bonus increases dogs safety in the event of an accident. A special note: in my state it is illegal for dogs to be in a moving vehicle unrestrained, it might be worth checking your local laws.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure if it means anything in particular but for me the first step would be a car restraint. Harnesses that attach to the seat belt or a crate work well. It removes access to your sister, stops the behavior from occurring and as an added bonus increases dogs safety in the event of an accident. A special note: in my state it is illegal for dogs to be in a moving vehicle unrestrained, it might be worth checking your local laws.
Oh well, just curious. But I won't bother with telling her about any local laws. She doesn't care to follow them when it comes to animals anyways. I can't remember a single time when my harness/restraint suggestion was met with anyrhing but "my dog, my rules" or some other retort that she thinks is a valid argument.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Well, that's a bit tricky. I'm pretty new to dogs so hopefully someone more experienced replies for you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
How do you know how the dog acts when you're not there? Because that is what your sister tells you? Lol. She's obviously a terrible owner so she might be lying. She might be putting the blame on you like you're the problem to make herself feel better about her out of control dog. Basic psychology.

She's just another stereotypical Pit-Bull owner...the kind of owners that end up on the news for their dogs attacking things it never did before. Yeah, chasing the windshield wipers and cars on the street is just one start to a Pitbull's downfall. The dogs left to run around back yards all day chasing cars are the Pitbulls that end up getting out of their yard and attacking a small child. Her "my dog, my rules" mentality will come to an end some day..hopefully not at the expense of someone else's pet or kid.

Lip curling and ramming her nose into her face? Yeah, that's a great sign. Does the dog like you better? She could be protecting you from her.

As for the " disciplines her in front of me" comment, dogs aren't little kids. The dog isn't embarrassed for being yelled at.

As for the laws, you could always Google the laws yourself and have a friend report her as a distracted driver. It's kinda like calling the cops on someone you know who drives drunk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do you know how the dog acts when you're not there? Because that is what your sister tells you? Lol. She's obviously a terrible owner so she might be lying. She might be putting the blame on you like you're the problem to make herself feel better about her out of control dog. Basic psychology.

She's just another stereotypical Pit-Bull owner...the kind of owners that end up on the news for their dogs attacking things it never did before. Yeah, chasing the windshield wipers and cars on the street is just one start to a Pitbull's downfall. The dogs left to run around back yards all day chasing cars are the Pitbulls that end up getting out of their yard and attacking a small child. Her "my dog, my rules" mentality will come to an end some day..hopefully not at the expense of someone else's pet or kid.

Lip curling and ramming her nose into her face? Yeah, that's a great sign. Does the dog like you better? She could be protecting you from her.

As for the " disciplines her in front of me" comment, dogs aren't little kids. The dog isn't embarrassed for being yelled at.

As for the laws, you could always Google the laws yourself and have a friend report her as a distracted driver. It's kinda like calling the cops on someone you know who drives drunk.
Other people who have ridden with us and with her alone have said the same thing. Most think it's cute or funny.

You're not telling me anything new, lol. However, she doesn't let her dog run free. That would be her husband. He's the real reason this one's brother was hit by a car. He refused to let my sister take them out on leashes when they were only six months old because 'they should know better than to run at the road'. So she listened. When she went outside (this was at night, by the way) she didn't see them so she called their names. They didn't listen because they were about a half mile down the road by now. I remember she said something similar to "when I see them, I'll ring their necks until they stop breathing" because that is what a good person does.

But she won't remember that.

Her husband is actually convinced that my sister won't let Angie run loose because my sister is too freaked out by the loss of her brother. It's actually because my sister is smart enough to know that her dog won't come back when called.

So now we're in a small apartment complex and he let her out without a leash because he thinks that's his right. He actually let her out because there was a cat outside and just laughed as it was chased up the tree. My sister is convinced that she just wants to play with the cat. Same thing goes for small dogs.

He also let her run loose on a crowded beach near a bunch of people and thought it was funny when she kept getting in young kids' faces. The parents were rightly mad and chewed them out, but that did nothing but make my sister and her husband mad. Same thing happened not long with one of their friend's two year old kid. Angel kept getting in his face and took him to the ground and 'mounted' him like a breeding male would a female. However, she was more interested in the kid's face and neck.

Chasing cars is just when we're in the truck. She'll be in the middle of us, tense up when a car is coming on the opposite side of the road, and leap into the back, tackle the window area, claw/dig, growl, bark, everything.

While I wouldn't say she likes me better, she does act differently towards me than she does him or her. She does a lot of snaps and lip snarls at my sister who just treats it like she's playing. The dog never does that to me. To her husband, she just cowers down with her tail between her legs. I guess I won't have to explain much of why this behavior is present.

I also am well aware that dogs don't get embarrassed like we do. But try telling that to her. I've explained and explained that sitting down and having a chat with her as you would a small child on 'why that is bad to do' won't work but my sister is convinced her dog understands.

But that's the type of people they are. He believes dogs are there just to be tools or money bags. She believes hitting and kicking your dog is the best way to train them. They also plan on breeding her this next time she goes in heat which should be any day now.

As for laws, I've googled and my state doesn't seem to be on that list.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts