Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was put on a waiting list for a yellow lab puppy. Well mama only had one puppy. She can be ours should we choose to take her.

Breeder, had another litter 3 days ago and he told me once she is weaned off of her mom he will put her with the other litters. Foster litter I guess. He is a reputable breeder I have known a few that have received puppy's from him.

My question is should I be concerned about the fact she had no litter mates? What type of personality would I be dealing with? I have read such different opinions. Some say no issues, some say singletons can be independent, bossy and spoiled because they never had to share.

Would love to have some feedback!!

Thanks in Advance,

Janeen

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Among larger dogs, this isn't something you often hear of but among smaller dogs it is extremely common to see litters of 1-3. My dog only had one littermate. The main benefit of interaction with other puppies for youngsters is that they learn the first building blocks of how to act around other animals-- how to control how hard they bite, how to tell other dogs when "enough is enough" and so forth. So long as the puppy is getting to interact with other pups as soon as he is mobile and ready to learn how to socialize, the difference should be moot.

·
Registered
951 Posts
If a singleton is placed with a 'foster litter' at a reasonably young age that is going to eliminate the problem. You don't say how old your prospective pup is. That's a critical factor, as that will determine how young the singleton is going to be when he goes with the foster litter and how long he stays with them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts