Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am 29 years old, and since i have been born i have been around dogs and grown up with dogs.

For years i have been saying to myself to get one.
But my only concern is am alone and i live in a flat (So no rear garden)

I work from 9 - 6pm While i work local, i could only spare 15-20 minutes per day at home in dinner (Commute time from work to home)

So the dog would be at home for a period on its own.
And this is whats putting me off getting one.

Ideally i would like to be in a house, but that move seems to get further and further away as each month passes.

Am interested in your thoughts?
Should i hold off for a house, is it a bad idea while working these periods?

Dogs i was considering was a Rotty (Had family's of them since i have been around) or a black Lab (I need someone playfull and bouncy)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Both your concerns (no attached outdoor space and long work days) can easily be overcome with the right strategies in place. I'm the same age as you and also live in a flat and I own a collie/spaniel cross with high exercise needs.

As long as you have access to off-leash areas in your vicinity where you can take the dog to run and play, really devote the weekends to the dog (and doggy activities), and can afford a dog-walker or daycare *if your dog requires it* then you would be fine getting a dog.

If you get a puppy I would probably start with a dog walker/day care arrangement so that your dog is getting proper socialization througout the day. Once the dog is out of adolescence (18 months +) they typically can go the whole work day between walks.

Not having a yard does require more walking (we go to the park 2x a day for off leash play time) so you need to be willing to put in that time. If you have an active social life in the evenings, I probably wouldn't get a dog unless your social events are dog-friendly. If you're able to devote nights and weekends to your pup -- I say go for it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm also a single person living in an apartment with a dog. It's definitely doable, just takes some good planning, lots of free time and a bit of extra cash.

I would recommend taking a some time off work when you get the dog so you can spend some quality time together and start on good habits.

Generally what I did was set up a play pen with his bed, food, water, toys, and a pee pad to start. Then either I or a dog walker came by at noon to let him out for some play, and a pee break. Now he gets free reign of the apartment with 1 walk (with dog walker) and 1 day of daycare a week, partially to break up his day and partially because I play sports and can't give him good exercise every day. Days in between we'll go for a long walk (1+ hour) or to the dog park. And on weekends I try to give him some extra time at the park, more training time and longer walks.

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
Hi Dave,

How much time would you have daily to spend with your dog and take it outside for exercise in your neighborhood? You mentioned 15-20 minutes, and I assume that would be your lunch break. What about before work and in the evenings?

If you don't have an adequate place to exercise your dog, either a backyard or in your neighborhood, you might want to consider a slightly older dog or one with less energy to burn off. I have an older lap dog, and except for short walks, he's really content to be inside with me at all times. A yard becomes more important with a younger, active dog.

Again, though, the amount of time you'll have each day to spend with your dog will be a more decisive factor in whether you can take care of one and which dog to choose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have time in the morning prior to going to work to take the dog for a walk.
(I would just need to get into routine getting up a little earlier, But am sure if Doggy wants a walk / in the routine then he will ensure am up for a walk in the morning)

i live local to a big open park, So its suited for a location.

And when am back from work i would have all evening to spend with the dog.

Yes the 20 minutes would be my dinner break from around 12-1 oclock.

I have been very good with dogs in the past, trained two family dogs so i know the work and commitment needed. Am more of a dog person than a human person i think....

For this i want the dog from a puppy, for the training and bonding.
But my problem was from a puppy and working, I like the advise about a walker coming by great for getting it used to other people from a pup and breaking the day up.
I just hate the thought of the poor thing being in a flat on his own all day moping around.

For the type of person i am, and how i am with dogs, a energetic one would be best suited.
I always fall in love with black labs for how playful they are.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I work full time and I ended up with a 8 week old puppy, she's 7 months old now and it's worked out fine!

Mind you, the first few months were HELL with housetraining, crate training..I was falling asleep at work because I wouldn't get any sleep at night! BUT!...it's only temporary! Those were my two biggest hurdles.

Once you get into a regular schedule (I had to start sleeping earlier because I had to wake up earlier to let the pup out for potty/exercise/training) it'll be fine! Plus you already have the dog experience so I think you'll be able to handle it.

My pup is very high energy so our schedule is like this:
-morning play at the beach (she loves to play fetch in the water) for an hour or sometimes a playdate with another pup
-lunch time fetch for 20-30 mins
-evening trail walk for an hour or more beach time
-Every friday she gets dropped off at dog daycare

Mind you, she's 7 months now so I can exercise her longer but just to give you an idea that it's not impossible to have a puppy and a full time job.

At the beginning when I first got her, I also had my neighbor come between the hours when I left for work and lunch, and between my lunch and when I got home so the pup was only alone for a couple of hours at a time. Hiring a dog walker wasn't in my budget so if you can afford it definitely use one!

Good luck and hope you post pics when you get your new puppy! :)

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Considering the terrible conditions some dogs live in, anyone that wants and is able to give a dog a good life should just do it. This pup will be home alone for 8 - 10 hours a day at times, we try not to let it go that long but he's fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Seems like there are solutions to your problems and doubts Dave.
Just that whether you are willing to put in the commitment and effort, especially in the beginning. But I believe everything can be done, if you have the 'heart' to do it. :)
Good luck

·
Banned
283 Posts
Seems like there are solutions to your problems and doubts Dave.
Just that whether you are willing to put in the commitment and effort, especially in the beginning. But I believe everything can be done, if you have the 'heart' to do it. :)
Good luck
Valid points if I may say so.
Big dogs need a big investment in time. The OP needs to be prepared for that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good Luck! it can be done but if you are not up to the puppy training, consider an adult rescue. I just adopted my second pair, 2 and 4 months ago. I am gone 9.5 hours during the day, so house training was a very big concern for me. I believe crate training is key, there were accidents, (I suggest puppy pads under a washable crate pad) but it didn't take long for them to understand.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a similar circumstance. I want to adopt a dog at some point but I'm stuck on what breed is a good fit. I was going to list my preferences and see if anyone had a suggestion about which breed to adopt:

I can't take lots of shedder fur. A dog with little shedding is mandatory.
I'd love to have a dog smaller than 30 pounds, as I definitely want a lap dog. Something that likes to snuggle is what I'm looking for. The dog would also need to be able to stay home alone for 5-6 hours in an apartment-sized space. Something that doesn't require much activity is ideal. I'd like to have what you could call a lazy dog. Hopefully this isn't too much to ask for. Anyways, thank you in advance for your consideration.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts