Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Hello. I basically could have written your post last week when I got my puppy. I did even post on here about how anxious I was feeling. I picked up my puppy, a yorkshire terrier called Pixie on the 1st of October and from the minute I got home I was a nervous wreck. I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, my stomach was in constant knots. I am married with 2 kids but the dog was my responsibility. I even ended up ringing my parents and crying for an hour over the overwhelming feelings I had and I am 37!!! I seriously was like 'what have I done, why did i do this, why didnt' I just leave my life the way it was and now i have this puppy and I don't know what it wants or how to traing it' I felt at times like I was drowning. I do suffer time to time with feelings of anxiety and this felt like the baby blues I had after I had my children. So i can completely empathise with you. The good news is last weekend it started to ease and today, apart from feeling sad I had to leave her when I went to work this morning, I don't feel any anxiety apart from a tiny bit that is manageable. And that's just mostly because she still can't go out until next week because she just got her last set of injections 2 days ago and we are both going a bit stir crazy. I know the minute I can get out walking with her not only will the anxiety completely fade but she will force me to get up off my bum and get out. As I said I am married and have 2 children but they are 9 and 7 so too young to help and my husband works extremely long hours so it's mostly just me and the dog. I also work in a hospital 2 days a week so she's on her own those days although next week when her vaccines have kicked in I will leave her in doggy day care for 1 of those days so i suppose it's not too bad for her. Again, though I do feel a bit guilty that she's the only dog in teh house although I only want 1 dog as with my kids more than 1 would be unmanageable so I think the feelings you have are just a sign that you are a good, conscientious dog owner. As she is my 1st puppy I dont' have too much advice about training (i have mine booked in next week to start puppy training classes) but I can vouch for the fact that these are completely normal feelings and they will fade. My dad said something to me that struck a chord he said ' all you are concentrating on are the bad/troublesome things a puppy can bring, don't forget to concentrate on all the joy and happiness aspects they bring in' and he couldn't have been more right. Even my husband who never wanted a dog is loving her. Just relax as much as you can and remember there are dogs that literally survive on the streets and they are very adaptable. Yours will become your best friend and you will laugh and smile more than feel anxious very soon. I am proof of that. :)

· Registered
25 Posts
It's the most awful feeling in the world. the first week and a half when I got her I hated feeling the way I did but I am definitely feeling 95% better this week and again when I can get her out I'm sure that 5% won't be there either. When I'm in work 9am - 4.30 p.m. I leave her in my kitchen. To be honest I don't crate train. I live in Ireland and I never saw people crate train dogs, they just put the puppy in a small room and put papers down. I put Pixie in our kitchen which isn't huge but isn't tiny either. To be honest it suits us as it's the only room without an alarm sensor. I bought a Bonzo puppy teddy from AMazon which has a special dog heating pad that you heat in the microwave and it then fits into the teddy and stays warm for 10 hours. I put his in her bed and put her toys with her, I put down food and water and a few puppy pads and turn on Lyric fm nice and low on the radio so it keeps her company. I use a bed guard that I had on my sons bed to fence off part of the kitchen where her bed is but to be honest shes so clever she keeps pushing it out of her way and getting to the rest of the kitchen but I don't mind. I just use the bed guard as I think it might make her feel cosier when she's sleeping to be in a smaller area. Yesterday my dad was able to pop up at lunchtime for an hour and keep her company but he's working today so she will be on her own. I do feel guilty but then I think of all the poor dogs that are dumped on roads or tied up in small back gardens and she literally has the life of Riley so I try not to let my emotions get the best of me. My mam is always telling me to remember it's a dog and not a baby and it will be better when she can get out for walks because I seriously would love to be getting up an hour earlier,and getting out for a walk with her. WE also live near loads of lovely Irish beaches and the countryside so I will be bringing her off loads with me and the kids when she can go out properly. My daughter who is 9 has been begging me for a dog since she could talk so she does play with her a bit but not as much as I thought she would. I think it's because she can't bring her out to walk and show off so she plays with her for a few minutes but then wants to go out playing with her friends so it's mostly just me and the dog. I sit out on my decking with her and play with her ball or I try to do a few minutes training her to sit which she seems to love. She is very clever. As I said I'm sure these weeks are the hardest when they are housebound but next week she will be in doggy day care 1 day a week so will only be at home 1 day a week by herself and because she's so young I'm sure if I get a walk in with her before work she will sleep a lot of that time we are not there. I rang the dog day care place as I didn't think they'd take puppies but they do once they are vaccinated and have the kennel cough vaccine (which I had to ask my vet for as it's not standard so that's something for you to check with your vet) so I can't wait to leave her there next week. My husband is usually not home until late into the evening so Pixie normally just is up on his lap asleep. A dog just wants to be part of someone's life and be in a safe environment. This is what I keep telling myself and try to keep myself grounded instead of letting my emotions run all over the place. I also read a puppy needs about 18 - 20 hours sleep a day and I'm sure when I can get her out walking I'll tire her out for when I'm not there. Just try and get through these next couple of weeks with your dog in the house and focus on how lovely it will be when you can start getting out with her and walking and going to training classes !

· Registered
25 Posts
Your dog is seriously gorgeous. I must have said every minute of the day last week 'I hate this feeling, I hate feeling like this' . I used to actually say just to keep myself sane ' if it gets worse I can just bring her back'. it used to calm me down although deep down I knew I wouldn't give her back. but it made me feel better just to say it. And thankfully it didn't get worse it got better. I think shandula is right. Go out if she is upsetting you with her crying for an hour or so. You will feel better rather than staying at home stressing out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.