Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a second dog in a couple of years.

Delilah's very attached to me and I don't want to hurt her feelings.

But she and Mia have lived together for up to a week at a time and did great. We'd all sleep in the bed together at night. I think Mia was more jealous/upset than Delilah.

She's also been fine when a couple of friends have brought their dogs over. She can get a little possessive of me though when I'm petting her or if she's near me and another dog comes over. She might snap or bark at the other dog- nothing over the top though.

How has your "only dog" done with adjusting to a dog sibling? How long did it take them to adjust? How did it impact your relationship? Do you feel guilty at all?

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Levi had zero adjustment (and this was a dog who followed me into the bathroom, and put his head behind the shower curtain when I was in there ;) ). He was instantly in love. I think you have to know your dog. Levi loves all dogs. Every. Single. One. So I knew bringing another dog in was going to be easy peasy.

I actually think it helped because now he had a second friend to play with and occupy. I felt less guilty if I had to leave for a while. Other than that, our relationship hasn't changed at all. He is more attached to my husband now than he used to be because I was working with Heidi on basic stuff.

Ultimately, I think you know your dog best and can tell if she'll adjust well or not.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
To be honest I think it was more a adjustment for me when I added Maye to the bunch and I grew up with two dogs. In some respects I think the individual dogs have a large part to play, some dogs get along pretty much right off the bat and others it takes a little bit of time for them to really get to know/get used to each other.
In my case Sawyer did pretty well, probably because he loves other dogs. It just worked out that Maye had the right personality for the both of us. I think it was harder on Maye then Sawyer, she was very "submissive" when we first got her, almost any time Sawyer went near her she rolled on her side. That and she is very very people oriented so she would snap at Sawyer any time Sawyer came over while she was getting attention. But I think after maybe a month is when things finally started to really calm down and mesh with them and me. Now Maye wrestles with Sawyer multipull times a day (although it doesn't take long for her to get annoyed and let out a very annoying shrill yip/bark lol), she's also much more comfortable sharing attention though she still tries to shove herself in between when Sawyer is getting attention. Addmittedly for a while in my case I hadn't really thought of her as mine for awhile when we first got her and occasionally I thought I don't think she is right for us, maybe it should just be me and Sawyer. But now I cant really imagine not having her.
Anyways that ended up longer then I meant it to but I hope it helps. Just a suggestion, since you aren't going to look into getting a dog for a few years, maybe you could try fostering one or two dogs to see what its like having two dogs in your house and to see how Delilah does.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
(and this was a dog who followed me into the bathroom, and put his head behind the shower curtain when I was in there ;) ).
Slightly off topic, but that's really funny. My guys will follow me into the bathroom but they wont go near the shower, probably because they know that's were baths happen lol.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Slightly off topic, but that's really funny especially when I tried picturing it in my head. My guys will follow me into the bathroom but they wont go near the shower, probably because they know that's were baths happen lol.
It scared the hell out of me the first time. The curtain moved, I instantly thought serial killer. In our new house we have a glass shower, so he can't do it anymore, but he still lays right outside. :p

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Is it hard to give them individual attention?

I'd like my next dog to do sports since I probably won't be able to do them with Delilah, but I don't want her feeling left out!
I do a lot of things with them together, like fetch and walks (my husband takes one), and work them separately while the other is around (great for impulse control), and make sure to do things with them one on one at least once a week. Levi for example is my demo dog, and I usually take a class with Heidi.

Reactions: Sabina88
1 - 7 of 7 Posts