Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a bad experience from a local rescue we are looking more at breeders and so breeds. A relative of mine recently told us about a designer breed that she loves and feels would be good for us.

She said is a Cavachon (probably spelling it wrong.) I have never heard of them before and I know it's pretty much a glorified mutt. But knowing many super nice Bichons I'm curious.

Anyone provide first hand info on them?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I know a Cavachon. Good dog. Good temperament with kids. I'd say low energy but he's 7 now? Was probably higher energy when younger. Likes little walks but not a big walker. Friendly, cuddly. They just picked him up at a pet shop at the mall on a whim :eyeroll: but he's turned out to be a good dog for them :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pictures didn't work for me.

We are looking for a dog who will get along well with our cat (he grew up around dogs) and our rat (who is always supervised outside his cage.) So no prey drive. And one who likes walks in the park and around the block. We also believe strongly in bringing our pup on as many trips and vacations as humanly possible.

With a mix it's hard to tell personality but from what you've said he seems like a really friend pup.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I dog-sat a Cavachon regularly for about two years and he was a very sweet-tempered dog and adorable to look at. His owners clearly adored him, and he seemed to get along fantastically with their kids (maybe early elementary age at the time). He had a lot of health issues though, including the heart murmur that a lot of Cavaliers have and a lot of ear infections, poor guy. And he was only 4-6 years old when I knew him.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I don't know about the cats...they don't have any other pets.
He is a great dog though. I don't know if they lucked out or if they are all like that. Probably a mix of both. I wouldn't hesitate to get one based on him

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I would just be very careful of anything with Cavelier in it. They have SO many health problems ranging from ear problems, heart defects, and luxating patella, so be sure you do your research.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts