Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I got Simple Guard 3 from my vet. This is the second time I'm using it on my dog and for the past hour she's been acting funny. Pacing, rubbing herself on things, panting, mostly pacing. She also randomly peed on the floor and this was AFTER we took her on a walk (because she was pacing) and she went pee twice and pooped. It just seems strange. She seems to be sleeping at the moment, so maybe if was just a slight reaction to the medicine, but I wanted to see if anyone else has used this product and what their experience was with it.

There seems to be nothing online about this product. The one site that says that it has reviews is not working.

Thanks in advance!
Michelle and Ruby(Terrier Mix Puppy)

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
I've never heard of it but it definitely sounds like she's having a poor reaction to it. I'd switch her to something else. There are plenty to choose from-- I've heard of the fewest side effects from Frontline Plus.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I've never heard of it but it definitely sounds like she's having a poor reaction to it. I'd switch her to something else. There are plenty to choose from-- I've heard of the fewest side effects from Frontline Plus.
I agree with the fronline being the least toxic. If your dog has a reaction like that I would not use it again. I have seen posts on this forum and others where the vet says that it is not the product. If it is a topical product bathe the dog and get it off. Wait a few days for the dog to recover and then use frontline and see if it happens again. If it does then you might want to try something natural like this
Danger of Chemical Pest Control Products - Safe Alternatives

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem with my bichon-poodle. I gave it to her on Monday. She is restless, rubbing, jerking movements, panting, generally miserable. I took her to the vet on Wednesday. She said they have had a couple others like this. They gave her a bath in dish soap per the manufacturer's advise and I picked her up. This is Thursday night and she is still having the problems just as bad. The doctor gave her benedryl pills but it doesn't seem to help at all. I called the manufacturer using the 877 number on the box and they took the report. The vet refunded my money and gave me the bath for free but my dog is really miserable and different personality too. Please keep me posted and I will do the same. Kathy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I gave the first fisher to my Maltese yesterday and he's been restless and panting ever since. I decided to bathe him because nothing else about his diet or environment has changed. So far he has calmed down. I wil be switching back to frontline. Thanks for the info it helped lessen my anxiety to see others haf similar issuses with simple guard.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have 2 Bichons and I gave them their first dose last week. The 4 yr old male has had problems that are almost identical to those Kathykuoppala has described. The 3 yr old female has not been as obviously effected, but she has had a similar reaction. The first washing has not helped much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
AWFUL PRODUCT! I used it on my Cockapoo Jimmy. It went on greasy and his back got red. He was rolling on and biting his back for 4 days since I applied it, and he constantly shakes like he is wet. The VCA vet said to call back if it went on for a week, but I'm not going to wait another minute. Based on everything I've read, this product should be recalled. :mad:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Simpleguard 3

The product is not an awful product and does not need to be recalled. There is a huge difference between Frontline and Simpleguard 3. The difference is in how they are actually spread through the body. One common reaction that dog owners report is my pet is shaking and rubbing on things and pacing. Some have also claimed that it seems like a seizure. Although that is possible with any topical product, it's called translocation. The product is working its way into the skin and body by "moving" through the layers of the skin. Most of the time after applying it twice your pet shouldn't have any reaction to it. This would also explain why even washing the location after application and the progress of signs would indicate the signs are still present. Simpleguard 3 is a fairly new product but is actually similar almost exact to Vetra 3D. The other difference between Simpleguard 3 and Frontline is that Frontline is only a preventative where as Simpleguard 3 is a preventative AND a repellant. In order to be a repellant some of the product needs to stay within the layers of the skin and that is why your pet has that reaction. Before you know, please don't knock the product. I'll be happy to answer any other questions about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What do you know about Simpleguard 3 Holly? Have you used it? What parasites does it protect against? What is the main ingredient versus Frontline? Why is it that after washing the area where frontline was applied any "adverse reactions" will cease? And there is a huge difference in how they work in the body. As well as the difference in ingredients.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I'll be happy to answer any other questions about it.
Are vet just switched to Simpleguard 3, they explained all about it to us and i have to say, it seems better the Frontline and i like the fact that it kills ticks and fleas before they bite. But i'm still unsure about it. I wont be needing it until next spring anyway. I got some time to still think about it all. :)

I have one question though, you said after 2 times of using it there shouldn't be a reaction at all? And if there is a reaction how long after we give it would we see it?

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
What do you know about Simpleguard 3 Holly? Have you used it? What parasites does it protect against? What is the main ingredient versus Frontline? Why is it that after washing the area where frontline was applied any "adverse reactions" will cease? And there is a huge difference in how they work in the body. As well as the difference in ingredients.

Reread my post and you'll see I was simply commenting on how they both use translocation, which you disputed in your first post. I even provided you a link.

Trying to test me will get you nowhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not testing you Holly. This is what I do for a living. I work in the veterinary medicine field so unfortunately I probably know a lot more about the product then you may think I do. Excuse me if my wording was wrong. Long days and being pregnant don't help. Cassy on to your question. If your seeing anything more than a slight discomfort such as the seeming itchy sensation after the second application I would switch to a different product and yes preferably Frontline. You would see the reaction within the first couple of hours. And yes if you have a cat that is intent on licking/grooming your dog, it is best if you are going to use the product to either do it at night or be able to keep your dog away from the cat(s) long enough for the product to dry. And this is not to bash Frontline. Frontline is a great product but this year has been a record for the number of flea cases we have seen and to have a product that can kill on contact and not after biting AND repel fleas, ticks, mosquitos, sand flies, lice and the others then why not try it. If you think your pet doesn't tolerate it then switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have 5 small dogs and purchased simple guard 3 at our local (VCA) vet.

Within a couple days all are exhibiting signs of severe skin itching, pacing, and we've had some inappropriate urination as well. We never had an issue with Frontline.

We'll be going back to the vet for a refund, but recommend strongly against simple guard 3, it's made our 5 dogs miserable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SimpleGuard 3

Hi Guys,
On Saturday we used this product for the first time recommended by our Vet. Well it wasnt long before our male Shitzu Rocky (3 yrs old) began pacing and appeared to be jerking his head to his right rear end and scratching his right ear. He looks like he is extremely agitated and it trying to let us know he is having a reaction to the product. If we keep him still and just kind of hold him we seems to relax a bit. It has been 3 days now and tomorrow morning I have a vet appointment I am going to bring this product back and get a refund. There might not be a single thing wrong with product but it is deffinately messing with my Boy. For the record we also applied it to our 12 yr old Girl Millie and she is perfectly fine.:ponder:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am going through the same thing. I gave my dog simple guard 3 for the first time this morning. He has had two baths and the doctor gave him Valium to clam him down this afternoon. It is not helping. He is agitated and can settle down, it is heart breaking to watch him. He had spams this morning now is just highly agitated. How long did it take before your down calmed down. He also had Benadryl this morning. I think we are going to be up all night. This drug is awful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I put Simple Guard 3 on my dog 4 days ago and she has been suffering ever since. I took her to the vet and they recommended washing her with dish soap. I did this and I washed her with regular dog shampoo. I know that some dogs are fine with this Flea and tick medicine but some are NOT. You would not want your dog to go through this so if you are thinking about buying Simple Guard 3 - my advice is Don't do it !

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same trouble using SimpleGuard3 with my Chihuahua, Chanel. Thanks for all the helpful posts! I will try Frontline Plus.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SimpleGuard Bad Side Effects

I applied SimpleGuard to my dog on Friday. This was her third application. The first two applications I gave her were for dogs 2 - 20 lbs. I moved up to the application for dogs 20 - 40 lbs. because she is now 21 lbs. The smaller application did not reach all the way up her back and I was afraid it would not be effective. I had switched to SimpleGuard because my dog had a bad case of fleas several months ago and I was using Frontline faithfully for years. My vet had previously recommended SimpleGuard, but I refused since prior to the flea infestation, Frontline had been fine.

With the first two application, my dog's skin crawled a few times. She wanted to bite at the center of her back, as well. This time, the dose reached up to the top of her back, seemingly with some to spare, although I applied the entire tube. She rolled around on her back, but this did not seem unusual, as she often does this regardless of whether or not I have applied flea prevention. However, I believe my dog may have had a seizure last night. She was sleeping and started jerking. She also seemed to doing "reverse sneezing", although she was asleep. My husband picked her up and she did not immediately wake up, she was limp for a few seconds and then woke up. She was fine at that point, so I am not certain she had a seizure.

I will not be applying this type of flea prevention again.

Has anyone had problems with Frontline in regard to fleas? My dog has never had a problem with a reaction to Frontline and I have used it on her for the past 7 years (all her life). However, it suddenly failed to prevent fleas and I had to have an exterminator early last fall to eliminate them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts