Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vet gave me simparica 40mg tablet for my 7kg dog. He's had it once already last month and was fine. However, yesterday I stumbled upon a petition online calling for this drug to be banned due to serious side effect concerns (even deaths have been reported allegedly).
I'm really skeptical about giving him the tablet now. Can someone impartial put my mind at ease or suggest safer alternatives?

·
Super Moderator
717 Posts
Id have a word with your vet to maybe get some statistics or discuss alternatives.

I have a friend who uses it, but I am aware of stories of concern (although its arguable you could find that for any medication if you look hard enough).

·
Super Moderator
10,780 Posts
There are horror stories about all the flea medicines. I give my own boy NexGard even though on this forum there is a thread dedicated to stories about the dangers on it and if I go online I can find thousands of other similar stories. I used to give him Advantage II and in the past I gave my old dogs the same thing, again I can pull up a thread dedicated to the danger of it and I can go online and find other stories echoing the same thing.

The fact is that any of the medicines we use for our dogs can cause allergic reactions, what you have to ask is how is your individual dog doing on the medicine, and does the benefits of it outweigh the possible dangers. For me the answer with the NexGard is yes, my boy is allergic to fleas and without a flea preventative he will scratch himself raw, open himself up to infections, and be miserable. I don't use Advantage any longer because he'd hide when he got the vial out to apply it and I never could figure out why.

Natural alternatives I have heard is feeding him a raw diet to have their immune system as healthy as possible, not sure how that's supposed to work but O.K.... Feed them garlic, it acts as a natural pesticide and will help ward off the fleas. Sounds good, but some dogs are sensitive to garlic and just how much do you need to feed in order to get the benefits? My make a spray with tea tree oil and mist the dog with it. Well tea tree oil is very toxic to dog so I do believe I'll be skipping this one. A couple others are Brewers Yeast, I can't remember how it's supposed to work, and food grade DE which is supposed to be applied to the pets coat. The problem with the DE is that if enough is inhaled it can cause lung problems, and it can also dry out the dog's skin.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I gave him simparica once already, the day he was brought to us from the shelter. He didn't have any adverse reactions, although he did have a cough for a couple of weeks afterwards which we treated with medication and he's been fine, so I don't think the cough would be a side effect from simparica.
So if he's been fine after having it once, is it safe to say that he'll always be ok with it?

·
Super Moderator
10,780 Posts
Most likely yes, but there is always a chance he could have a reaction. I make sure to give my boy his NexGard during my vet's office hours, that way if he does have a reaction I can get him right in.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've been giving my Danes Simparico for several years with no adverse effects, and no fleas or ticks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts