Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lola is my twelve year old Jack Russell Terrier. In the past week, my dog had bloody diarrhea. We took her immediately to the vet and he diagnosed that she has colitis and jaundice with an underlying liver issue (but did not diagnose a specific one); we were prescribed pro-pectalin and metronidazole. She has had a loss of appetite, constantly drinks water, and urinates but rarely has bowel movements. I know the combinations of medication is to make the diarrhea stop, but it has continued on, completely halted her eating and behavior. She seems skittish, depressed, and lethargic.
My vet said that I should keep giving her the medication until it is gone, however, after five days, a noticeable tremble has begun in her body and the diarrhea is not gone; it's not bloody but she continues to have it. I fear that the medication is making her worse, but my vet says she is shaking because she is weak. Something in my gut tells me that it's wrong to keep giving her this, when she is seeming to lose balance and have trouble walking, so I have decided to take her off of it.

TO NOTE: Her lack of appetite, drinking water excessively, and lack of bowel movements was similar to a period that my dog was suffering from earlier this Spring/in April. After a weekend where she was panting heavily, and nothing we could do would stop it, all of these symptoms kickstarted. However, at the time she remained upbeat and cheerful, and was not lethargic. A different vet I had with her on that occasion did not diagnose her with anything nor prescribed anything to help. Her eyes seemed yellower to me then than they are now, and the vet did not say that she had jaundice. We ran x-rays and they were clear. The only thing that came up odd was her blood work, which showed that her liver enzymes were high - which the same enzymes after the homeopathic treatment has lowered significantly when we took her back this month. We cleared up her problems entirely through homeopathic treatment. The one instance of bloody diarrhea seems to be the start of a relapse.

She just does not have a lack of appetite, she won't eat hardly anything. One day she will eat chicken/turkey cooked carrots/sweet potatoes/her wet food/her dry food/etc. specifically for her, the next day, she won't touch it or anything. She seems to sniff it and seem hungry but tucks her tail and walks away. We also ran tests on worms and parasites both times at the vet, and she did not have either.

We are considering that if she has another bout of bloody diarrhea to take her to a different emergency vet, as the one we go to is the only reputable one but has not work out for us so far. We are also looking to do another homeopathic treatment, in addition to an ultrasound.

I was just wondering if anyone's dogs has had / have the same symptoms, and what was their prognosis? is this something to do with the liver or more gastro-intestinal? what were the treatment options that you undertook? I know they may not be the same as mine but I'm very curious to try and pinpoint what Lola might have.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Again , I'm so sorry that you're having to watch your girl go through this. Is her bloody diarrhea bright red or dark and black? My girl was put on the same antibiotic as yours this last time but hasn't had any significant (additional) effects from it. Her diarrhea cleared up within the week. Actually, this last time I think she had some pretty bad GI bleeding from the prednisone. While checking out at the vet, she had projectile water diarrhea with red chunks. I'd never seen anything like that :( She didn't eat that night but the next day she ate the vet's Eukanuba low-res canned food and continued it for me all week- I got lucky since she's been like yours with her appetite. She didn't poop after the incident in the office for about 3 days and then it was still really soft but got more firm as the week went on.
Because we suspected an ulcer or other GI bleeding, she was put on that antibiotic, carafate, and pepcid. The first round of diarrhea cleared up with just a few days of the bland diet.

I really hope your girl is feeling better soon. It's so hard not being able to fix it for them :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wanted to add, a few times I've been able to entice my girl to eat something she'd turn her nose up at in her bowl by offering her the first few bites from my hand. Not all of the foods but some of them. This is really gross when it happens to be the wet stuff but whatever it takes I guess :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you greybeard789! I really appreciate your advice and sharing your experience.

She only had one instance of diarrhea and it was a medium-red; not too dark or bright. A night or two before she had black to brown diarrhea. It's not frequent just about once a day or every other day because she's not eating - even food that I've held out for her. The vets don't have too many answers or us nor have suggested another medication, so we're gonna go another homeopathic route since that seemed to help her clear up last time.

The vet hasn't suggested that it might be GI bleeding, so I might start looking into it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still real word back by my vets - and sad thing is, they are the most reputable around. I'm awaiting some medicine from my homeopathic vet across the country; hopefully they will arrive soon. Lola has begun to eat here and there, raw meat, carrots, etc. but her stool still comes out liquidy but brown and without blood. She is shaking a little - not sure if that has something to do with her not feeling well or feeling weak, or even trying to get her fully off the medicine my vet had given her and made her worse. *sigh*

If anyone reads this, please just keep her in your thoughts and positive vibes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm sending lots of good thoughts Lola's way. Glad she's eating a bit. I'm no expert on diarrhea since my girl never really had a problem until the prednisone (except for the occasional garbage raid that didn't agree with her). However, in trying anything and everything for my now picky eater, we had a few days success with VitalFresh Raw food (smelled horrendous but she really seemed to like it) but then it totally gave her the runs. Will Lola eat the meat cooked at all? Maybe even slightly cooked would keep her eating but fix the poo problem?

Right now I'm having success with cooked ground beef or chicken and pureed carrots (she used to love them raw). Too many carrots though and she says forget it .

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Could be a meat intolerance I would pick one meat and make it one she has not eaten before. One meat one veggie grated and steamed. They don't digest the veggies unless they are cooked. I would eliminate grains all together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts