Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for info on silver labs. I'm thinking of getting one in the future. My main questions are, are silver labs a result in color dilution or lack of pigment. Is there a lot of inbreeding to keep this color and aside from normal hip issues with labs any other health issues associated with silver labs? Any other info would be good to. Thanks

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I've heard it's due to dilution, but I've also heard they've been crossed with Weims.

Since it's not an accepted color, I think it would be nearly impossible to find any semblance of a good breeder, which will then open you up to other problems.

Just curious, what draws you to these dogs? Have you considered Weims at all?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Silver Labs are not pure Labs. Somewhere in the background there is a Weimaraner (same for charcoal & champagne). It could be far enough back that it won't show up in breed DNA tests. It's a dilute color and there is no dilute gene in Labradors.

Don't be fooled, just say No To Silver Labradors

Silver Labrador Retriever Facts And Controversy

https://notosilverlabs.wordpress.com/2015/09/03/before-you-breed/

Health issues:
https://notosilverlabs.wordpress.com/2014/08/27/the-dilute-gene-in-labrador-retrievers-health-problems/

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I currently have a choc lab and she's great, fits my lifestyle well. So I want another dog, it's between another lab or a German shepherd. So I'm fact finding for now

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Silver labs are a can of worms. Some people believe that the dilute gene has existed in labs for a long time, others believe it was introduced.

Either way, it is due to color dilution, silver labs are dilute chocolates. There is a syndrome that affects some dilute individuals of some breeds (dobes are notorious) called color dilution alopecia, it does occur with some frequency in silver labs. Personally I would stay away.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not to concerned if it's not a pure pure bred. But as long as it still hold the same behavioral and tempermant that a standard lab would. But on a different topic this whole debate just makes me question the reputation of the ABC as every solver lab I've seen is akc registered. And my lab is not registered at all

·
Registered
406 Posts
Well I currently have a choc lab and she's great, fits my lifestyle well. So I want another dog, it's between another lab or a German shepherd. So I'm fact finding for now
:thumbsup: Fact finding is great! I'm partial to Labs (the one we have now is my 4th, 3rd since getting married), but have had quite a few other breeds in my life, too. The important thing is to make an informed decision. :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If they're labeled as akc then the breeder is lying and rubbish. Stay away from that like the plague!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry about my typos in my last post. I typed it on my phone. Anyways they're apparently registered with the AKC with papers and full rights.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Just a note: anyone could register with the AKC, it doesn't mean anything. Silver labs are still a designer dog.

I've seen many silver labs working at doggy daycare as well as knowing a few personally and there's not a single one that I would call a healthy dog. All of them have terrible skin/coat issues due to their blue coat. More than half of them have lost most of their fur.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Sorry about my typos in my last post. I typed it on my phone. Anyways they're apparently registered with the AKC with papers and full rights.
They can't be registered as silvers, which means the breeder lied on the papers. Labs can only be registered as black, chocolate and yellow. Yes, they will DNA breed test as Labs, because the Weim was mixed in too many generations back for it to show up, but they aren't purebred if they're dilute.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's interesting that the dilute would cause skin issues, doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in dealing with. Although the random healthy ones do look gorgeous as adults.
And that's interesting with the registraion, I suppose they are registered as chocolates. I think the AKC should require a photo or something. But that's neither hear nor there.

So next what about fox red labs? I think I read they are still pure just a Color variant from the yellow. What's their health like.

And if anyone's wondering yes I am picking the colors I like. I love chocolate labs, that why I got one. But they also fit my lifestyle. I liked silver but based on what people are saying I don't want to test my luck and hope I get a healthy one. Next I really like the red labs, so what's their health like and is there anything else to note with them that comes along with the color variant? Such as different tempermant?

·
Registered
406 Posts
...So next what about fox red labs? I think I read they are still pure just a Color variant from the yellow..
Yes, fox red is a shade of yellow, and perfectly acceptable. They are no less, and no more healthy than any other Lab. The same with temperament. You stand the best chance of getting a healthy Lab with a good temperament by going to a responsible breeder who does health testing and proves their dogs are worth breeding somehow (hunt, breed ring, obedience, agility, etc). Anyone who breeds the dilute colors (silver, champagne, charcoal) is NOT a responsible breeder.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
The colour shouldn't impact the personality/traits you like about a Labrador, as long as you are going to a reputable breeder.

Just like Aussies the black tri/red tri/blue merle/red merle should all have similar traits.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome, thanks for the help.

Last question about the red labs. I believe I read that some registries register them under "red fox lab" is that true, if so should I be looking for one that is under that registry or one from akc/ukc or it doesn't matter? As long as they're a responsible breeder. Thanks

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
They can't be registered as silvers, which means the breeder lied on the papers. Labs can only be registered as black, chocolate and yellow. Yes, they will DNA breed test as Labs, because the Weim was mixed in too many generations back for it to show up, but they aren't purebred if they're dilute.

Honestly if it really was an outcross to a weim that introduced the dilution gene but it was so long ago that it's not demonstrable... then IMO they are labs. Like the LUA dals are dals.

ETA: Having said that, a lot of them do have skin/coat problems so I don't think they're awesome, but I think the ship has sailed and they're labs.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Honestly if it really was an outcross to a weim that introduced the dilution gene but it was so long ago that it's not demonstrable... then IMO they are labs. Like the LUA dals are dals.

ETA: Having said that, a lot of them do have skin/coat problems so I don't think they're awesome, but I think the ship has sailed and they're labs.
That's kind of my opinion as the labs themselves was a cross. I think once the skin and coat problems get worked out they'll be recognized. I mean there was a point when choc labs were culled and now they're wildly accepted so well see.

·
Registered
406 Posts

The big difference is that cross was made to improve Dals health. There has been no evidence that breeding to Weims was done to improve anything in the Lab breed. But, yeah, I get that those are purebred.

·
Registered
406 Posts
That's kind of my opinion as the labs themselves was a cross. I think once the skin and coat problems get worked out they'll be recognized. I mean there was a point when choc labs were culled and now they're wildly accepted so well see.
The Labrador Retriever Club (national parent club) won't accept the color, not even in the future. They set the breed standard that the AKC & UKC uses. The dilute colors are not a natural color that appears in Labs.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Well they're no purebred, so it could always be that there's coming a but of Weimaraner through in the character as well but that's not the problem i see.

i don't think it is the right thing to do to breed a dog on one physical trait only, I don't consider this responsible breeding.
i also don't get how the breeding of diluted labs would make the breed better performance or personality wise (which should always be a priority in breeding).

I think, when you want get a lab, get a lab from a reputable breeder in one of the standard colours that have a bigger gene pool.
If you really want a silver dog, get a Weimaraner, and deal with their will to work as a hunting dog, Wild- and Mannschärfe. *shrug*
both alternatives, in the hands of the right owner, are probably the better alternative in comparison to getting a overexpensive mix with a relatively narrow genetical background. :I

1 - 20 of 36 Posts