Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
Are you the best puppy in the whole wide world?

I think if someone spent the day filming me chatting with Shadow and the neighbor's cats, then went and showed it to a psychologist, men in white coats would come wrestle me into one of those neat jackets that tie in the back and haul me away to the mental hospital....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Haha - same here - I start in with a "human" conversation with Goose, and the hubs will almost always think I'm trying to talk to him.

If hubs isn't there, the conversation between myself and Goose (or, myself and myself, in reality ;)) could go on forever...

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
I frequently carry on conversations with Nola :) I can't imagine not, LOL
I also (this is kinda embarrassing) sing her a little song that goes "Where's my Nola? My little Nola, my tiny Nola, my evil Nola, my Dachshund Nola...There you are, tiny teckel!'' At the end she jumps into my arms

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh god you are killing me!!! I can just see her doing that! Addy LOVES to be sung to, she gets the weirdest look on her face and then she like, physically goes limp!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a Bowie song. Really me singng Bowie at different speeds and then I start to dance around, which makes him dance around me. We also have "talks" about what I should make for food for me, and which news channel we should watch that morning.

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
My husband will hear me talking and ask what I said. My answer always seems to be " nothing. I was talking to Fearghas".
Posted via Mobile Device
That's me, too. :) I sing and talk to my dogs as well. Even when I'm not living alone with them. :ponder: Who's to say what's normal, anyways?

Love the poster--poor pup.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm a bagpiper and will break out my practice chanter (think recorder but not as shrill) to get some practice in. Fearghas will join in with barks usually on the beat for me with an occasional howl.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
51 Posts
Did you let a stinker?????
Dobe: Oh course not Mom, I'm much too civilized (looking innocent)
Did YOU?
Dobe: you mean me? (looking around...anywhere...not in your eyes)
P U!!!!
Dobe: Drat, I'm caught (looking guilty)
Aha! I knew it
Dobe: All right already, geeze (looking mad)
Stinky dog!
Dobe: (embarrassed grin while leaving the room)

It's the little things you miss, bless her heart, I miss her so.

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That was so touching, got a lump in my throat... yeah, it is the little things you miss when they are gone...like sharing the very last bite of my ice cream pop, Beta would always wait patiently. And Turbo the cat swatting me and giving a yowl if I didn't ruffle her head when walking by the table...and Nelson, our doxie, picking up whatever I dropped and bringing it to me, including random stuff from the wastebasket just to get a pet....miss them too but know they are in such a good place now, pain free.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I frequently carry on conversations with Nola :) I can't imagine not, LOL
I also (this is kinda embarrassing) sing her a little song that goes "Where's my Nola? My little Nola, my tiny Nola, my evil Nola, my Dachshund Nola...There you are, tiny teckel!'' At the end she jumps into my arms
Video! I want to see a video of this! Lol @ the evil part!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just this past weekend:

Mom: I love you! (said as I was just walking into the room)

Me: I love you too!

Mom: Oh.. I was talking to Sallie.. but I love you too!

My whole family talks/sings to our dogs all the time - I can't imagine not doing it! I've also had many times when I'll be asked what I said and I'll respond that I was talking to the dog, not them.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Yeah, my family is the same way. When I was still living with my parents, I had a friend from uni over. She was absolutely amazed that everyone in the house was able to tell when we were talking to each other, or the dog.

I think it's a family trait. My grandmother used to have conversations with her fish. Of course, if no one else is there, we will also talk to the plants, or if they aren't around, our shadows. It helps us sort out our thoughts.

·
Registered
861 Posts
To Ike: "Aww, my Smooshy Face! My big guy smooshy face puppywuppykins!" He's 4 now, but still my puppy,lol.

To Rita: "Who's my retarded dog? Where's the Rita-rd? Aww, there she is!" followed by petting on my part and face licking on hers.

To Renee: "Nee-puppy! Where's momma's evil dog? C'mon, Satan, come here! Aww, momma wuves her sooo much!"

To Owen: "Gimme that belly! Wheres my hound tummy!" at which point he runs up and flops over for belly rubs.

To both the Pit Bulls *nauseating even to me and I am the one doing it!* "Aww, momma's Pretty Pitties! Look at momma's gorgeous gals! My Pretty Pitty Princesses!" etc. etc.

And everyone in the house talks to the pets like they're human. We have had some seriously embarassing moments when caught doing it because we say things to dogs we never say to anyone else.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I hold regular conversations with mine. I ask about their day while I was at work and then I tell them about mine. I wont tell all the mushy stuff I say because it is just too embarrasing. They are my babies, my best firends and confidonts. I know anything I tell them will not be repeated and it is very comforting. I have been caught talking to them by friends who stop by and of course I hear a ton of jokes about it, but I just look at my babies and smile and they smile back. Silly humans!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Maybe I have a warped sense of humor, but when my two pooches get a little too rowdy I'll say "Come here so I can hit you!" They come bounding over all smiles, and tails a waggin'. I just think it's hilarious. (no, I don't hit them)
Or another thing I often ask is "okay, who's barking?" I don't know why I bother, because neither one will fess up.

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lucklein- That's so funny! I actually kept a log on our two dogs counting the number of times they barked, who initiated the barking, and how long they barked out in the backyard. Needed to prove it was Chloe (the really smart one) that was "mis-behaving" and not our dear heart "special needs" sweetie. Of course we love Chloe tremendously, but I was tired of everyone blaming Addison for what she wasn't doing!!!! Am I a social worker or what!!! It was all evidence based discussion, lol!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts