Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents always come over with their tiny dog and that's fine. But lately she just tries to... well it's obscene. Anything that moves is a target, including my hybrid. And apparently it only happens at my place.
The hybrid is not fixed but she isn't in heat. The terrior is but it's fairly reacently done. We've tried typical discouraging and spraying with a little water but nothing seems to help. Any ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Firstly I wouldn't spray the dog in the face with water. That is counter productive and will just agitate the dog.

Dogs hump for several reasons. It could be sexual reasons but it could also be excitement or anxiousness. Has the dog always done this? Does the dog only do this around strange dogs? He may just be anxious and excited.

If this is a new behavior, especially one right after a neuter or if it's paired with licking of the genitals, I would suggest a vet visit to rule out any potential medical issues. If that comes back clean, then behavioral training is in order.

I would personally try a controlled play date with another dog, both on leash, and watch the terrier closely. When the dog begins showing mounting behavior, lead them away immediately in a 30 second - 1 minute time out. Then try again. Repeat repeat repeat. And then repeat some more :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts