Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Little bit of a rant here! It is getting increasingly hard to take our hounds out in public!

Why? because they are thin and we get so many dirty looks from people that believe we are starving our dogs. I am honestly worried that we'll get reported to animal control! It is so annoying.

People glare at me while their hugely over weight dog waddles along next to them because my dog is slender. We have sight hounds - they are not built to carry extra weight. They get plenty of food but yes they look thin to the general public.

I know there is a difference between someone who is a dog person and someone who owns a dog. Heck there is a difference between a dog person and someone who just loves dogs. I am not running into very many dog people, just dog owners.

It makes me quite irritated that I get dirty looks for having dogs that are perceived as too skinny but people whose dogs are hugely over weight get a pass. Sometimes more than a pass as some people seem to think it is cute!

Sorry we got three glares and a head shake from people today when we took the Borzoi out. Two of these people were dragging around wheezy obese dogs, one lab and one beagle something or other. My dogs are healthy, lean, and well muscled.

I guess I'm just frustrated by how the public seems to perceive dogs now.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Peoples perception of what is healthy and what isn't is so skewed these days, like the more overweight your dog is, the more you obviously love them or some utter bs like that. I took one of my girls to the vet a few months back and saw a guy with two blue heelers/ACD, most healthy weight ACDs I've seen are 15-20kg and his? They were 39kg and 40kg. His excuse? "Heelers are meant to be shaped like a barrel".. keep telling yourself that dude..

I still get the dirty looks and the nasty comments and I don't even have sight hounds.
Before Callie reached 2yrs and filled out a bit, we always got the comments of "oh poor baby, you're starving" or some comment about how skinny she was - as soon as I mentioned her being a working dog they shut up pretty quick, somehow a working dog means they should be "underweight"..
Grem gets those looks because *shock, horror* you can see a rib! Wow.. A bully breed mix who shows a rib. Apparently if you have a healthy weight or muscley bully mix, you must be a dog fighter.

Pip is actually the worst I get comments on. She's a JRT. I know very few JRTs who are healthy weights, most have literal fat rolls..

·
Registered
713 Posts
Thankfully my dogs are coated so I don't have to deal with this too often. Whenever I do run into the occasional skeptic I always inform them that these dogs were built for running and you would see a track runner with more than a few ounces of fat on them, that's usually enough to satisfy their judgmental mentality or at least get them to move on.

I do always end up having the occasional debate with new vet assistants whenever they meet their first sighthound. They always get this strange look on their face and whisper to someone if they can be reported for starving their dog. After a bit of schooling about the difference between skinny vs. starving, making them read their ideal body weight charts, and feeling the firmness of the major muscle groups, they quickly learn to bite their tongue and can be seen trying to discreetly palpate the rib cage on all the "well fed" dogs that come in afterwards.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I tend to get the opposite comments. He's slightly, very slightly, overweight at 11.7 lbs and ideally should be 10.5 - 11 lbs. People comment on how good he looks and are shocked when I say I want him to lose a bit of weight. "But he looks fine! He looks in shape to me." are the comments I generally get. What's sad is that most of the dogs in this apartment complex are small breeds that are very over weight so Zody really is one that's in the best shape and compared to them is thin. If I do manage to get him to lose that extra pound I bet people will think he's underweight and I'm starving him.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
No matter the breed people will always judge you and your dog.
one dog is too fat, the next is to small or too big or to slim...

my dog is actually on the slim side/slightly to too thin (he's got always food available, so it is not like that we starve him. he only eats when he's hungry.) but people will still call him a fat muscle dog, just because he's a molosser.

even if people are knowlegable about the most common breeds, this doesn't mean they know much about more rare breeds and you don't see that much sighthounds around.
as long as it diesn get to the extreme i personally couldn tell you if a sighthound is under or over weight...the same with very longhaired dogs or very small dogs (like pugs or frenchies for example). it is just difficult when the Phänotype is different from the common 0815-labrador.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Sighthounds are pretty rare, so even for a lot of dog people I don't think they would understand that they're built like that. I don't know much about them myself. I know they're supposed to be that slim, but I would still probably double take if I saw one out in public. It would get annoying though.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I can't imagine having sighthounds, as people constantly ask me why Levi is so thin. There was a pure Lab at the dog park the other day that must have been about 130 pounds, I am not joking. The guy laughed and said "He's a lab, he loves to eat, what can you do?"Yikes.
I just try to tell people he runs a lot, and is meant for hours of exercise every day. They can take it or leave it, the vet loves Levi's weight. :p

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
I got a lot of skinny comments about my dobe and get them now with Leggs. He's lean, deep chested, leggy, and with an exaggerated tuck. He's not really any thinner than the rest of my dogs. Just short coated and out and about a lot.

Funny thing is, I've gotten skinny comments from conformation/obedience people. Not as often as pet people but still...

On the flip side, I had an agility nut tell me that now that Leggs is old enough he needs more intense conditioning (build muscle, loose the fat he does have).
And then I also have had some people (pet and sport) ask what I do to keep him in such good shape. Lol :p

Everyone has an opinion...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Take it with a grain of salt! Your dogs are happy and healthy. Know that they will live longer with less health issues than the "coffee table" dogs. Every time you get a glare think about the fact that you will enjoy your dogs company for many, many years more than the owners who are killing them with "love" (food). I wish there were more good owner out there like you. :thumbsup: By the way I love the lean silhouette of a beautiful sighthound! We see alot of geyhound rescues from the track and Doc has always owned multiple greyhounds. Techs should know better.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Oh people really are the worse. I remember all the comments I use to get whenever someone had a greyhound in the store. People never understood that what they considered skinny is actually healthy. Then again I use to have people who would accuse me of not feeding my lab enough because she is slender and deep chested. In a country that struggles with obesity in so many different senses, you would think people would keep their judgey stares to themselves.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Ugh, I have a beagle that is actually in good shape and working condition. Most people think she's emaciated and that I'm abusive because "Beagles aren't supposed to look like that". Yes they are. Just because there are a ton of overweight beagles doesn't make it the new standard.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Ugh, I have a beagle that is actually in good shape and working condition. Most people think she's emaciated and that I'm abusive because "Beagles aren't supposed to look like that". Yes they are. Just because there are a ton of overweight beagles doesn't make it the new standard.
My boyfriend has a beagle (five months) and I keep coming back to this forum to show him photos of your dog to try and fix a standard in his brain.

Anyway, yeah, like many people who try to keep their dogs in working condition I get comments sometimes and I imagine it must be worse with sighthounds. Most Catahoulas don't even have a very dramatic natural tuck at good weight.

·
Registered
279 Posts
When our dog (who is shaggy, so hard to see real shape) hurt her back, she put on a couple of pounds during the 2 weeks rest. When we took her for the check up the vet said she was just a touch overweight, she has lost it now, but we got way more compliments from strangers while she was chubby.
She is a heavy built shaggy dog, her natural build is not super lean even at the right weight. so I have no idea why people think she looks better with pudge on her!

·
Registered
438 Posts
omg right? people are so nutty lol

Growing up we had a rescued greyhound and the truth was she was actually quite a bit overweight.

All of the time we would get comments about how she is just too skinny and we were cruel, abusing her, should feed her.....

·
Registered
917 Posts
Some people can be so annoying. I had the same issue with Vegas, he's a lab/pointer mix. He has a big deep chest and a teeny tiny waist and now I have a dane who has the same type of build. I don't remember having anyone outright nasty, but people would comment on how skinny he was. I actually have an issue with my BF's father thinking Freyja is too thin. He gives way too many treats, I have hide them and only leave out a day's worth at a time. He, like so many others, thinks the only way to show love is with food.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess it really makes me more sad than anything else. I mean people obviously love their dogs but are slowly creating health problems due to too much food.

Our dogs do not really get treats unless you count raw meaty bones. Unless we are working on training exercises.

I prefer to build a relationship up around physical affection or play time.

Reactions: annageckos
1 - 16 of 16 Posts