Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So I am officially moving to NC next week, and I cant help but notice how few sidewalks there are, ... how do you guys walk your dogs in North Carolina ?? :ponder:

I lived in 3 different areas in Florida , Miami, Orlando and Kissimmee. I moved quite a lot ( 3 times in Miami , 4 times in Orlando and Kissimmee area)
My point being, each time I moved, I could still find sidewalks to walk my dogs... sigh:(
Now that I am relocating to NC ( Winston Salem/ Greensboro area) I am having a hard time finding a house where there are sidewalks at all. Not that it is a bad thing, but I wonder why that is? I have a siberian/malamute mix (80lbs) and a full malamute(still a puppy) dog, needless to say, they need exercise quite often, I walk them on average 5 to 6 times a day here, depending on weather and my schedule of course. :D

anyways, let me get to my point, how are you guys living in NC (or any other state for that matter with no sidewalks) walk/exercise your dogs ??
I strongly believe that large breed dogs needs lots of exercise, how do you do it ? :confused:

thanks a lot in advance for your insights !! :)

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Hi there! Welcome to DF! :)

I live in RI and we don't have very many sidewalks in my town, either. We have thin, winding roads so it does make dog walking tricky! My best advice is don't walk in the dark and keep your eyes peeled. There have been times that I've had to jump up on someone's front lawn to keep my dog and I safe.

The good news is that most drivers are very conscious of walkers, dogs, bikers, etc and they do give room.

NC is one state that I would love to move to :)

Happy moving and stay safe!

·
Registered
884 Posts
My home is on, and surrounded by roads with no sidewalks, and in places, no shoulder, just an embankment uphill, or down into the lake, add to that, narrow winding road.
I do walk 'around' the lake. But there are whole bunches of things I need to do.

I wear a 'traffic vest' from dusk to dawn and in any weather with poor visibility.

I wear flashing lights in winter.

I have a reflective leash.

I cross the street in some locations to maintain visibility.

I make sure my dog knows how to 'walk nice' on a very short (traffic, 2') leash.

If your dog is at all reactive (lunges), you need to be able to manage it by any means necessary if they might dart into traffic (I find a harness grab and lift effective in emergencies for my current 40lb dog)

So it means a (much?) higher level of acceptable risks than walking on a sidewalk, a much higher standard of acceptable behaviour on your dogs part. Some sort reliable and precise 'heel' position is necessary (I use the traffic leash rather than rely on training at this point).

Or, you can drive your dog to more appropriate places. I'm stubborn, so I just manage with what I have.

I also do take him to fields, forests, parks, dog parks and conservation areas for a little more freedom. When I walk him on the road, he ends up in 'heel' position for a good 1/3rd of the walk.

The short answer is, if your dog is well behaved on leash, wear reflective gear.
Training excellent leash manners is not optional, but mandatory.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I don't walk on main roads if I can help it, try to stick to side streets. The dogs learn to stay out of the street, I don't let them walk on the traffic side. I do try to keep them walking on the grass, but they often walk next to the curb. If you can find a park or wooded area that is also a good option.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I'm nearish the Greensboro area and there are a ton of state parks and local trails to walk dogs on, it means a short car ride but it's worth it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi there! Welcome to DF! :)

I live in RI and we don't have very many sidewalks in my town, either. We have thin, winding roads so it does make dog walking tricky! My best advice is don't walk in the dark and keep your eyes peeled. There have been times that I've had to jump up on someone's front lawn to keep my dog and I safe.

The good news is that most drivers are very conscious of walkers, dogs, bikers, etc and they do give room.

NC is one state that I would love to move to :)

Happy moving and stay safe!
thanks ! :) im so happy to finally move away from Florida lool NC is so beautiful Im very excited ! it is going to be a hard transition for sure with no sidewalks, we're outside people and love to walk/hike with the dogs so I hope we'll be able to make it work

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My home is on, and surrounded by roads with no sidewalks, and in places, no shoulder, just an embankment uphill, or down into the lake, add to that, narrow winding road.
I do walk 'around' the lake. But there are whole bunches of things I need to do.

I wear a 'traffic vest' from dusk to dawn and in any weather with poor visibility.

I wear flashing lights in winter.

I have a reflective leash.

I cross the street in some locations to maintain visibility.

I make sure my dog knows how to 'walk nice' on a very short (traffic, 2') leash.

If your dog is at all reactive (lunges), you need to be able to manage it by any means necessary if they might dart into traffic (I find a harness grab and lift effective in emergencies for my current 40lb dog)

So it means a (much?) higher level of acceptable risks than walking on a sidewalk, a much higher standard of acceptable behaviour on your dogs part. Some sort reliable and precise 'heel' position is necessary (I use the traffic leash rather than rely on training at this point).

Or, you can drive your dog to more appropriate places. I'm stubborn, so I just manage with what I have.

I also do take him to fields, forests, parks, dog parks and conservation areas for a little more freedom. When I walk him on the road, he ends up in 'heel' position for a good 1/3rd of the walk.

The short answer is, if your dog is well behaved on leash, wear reflective gear.
Training excellent leash manners is not optional, but mandatory.
my siberian/mal is 8 years old and really good leash trained, the mal puppy is well... a puppy loool we're working hard on training right now so he will turn out as good as our older girl

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't walk on main roads if I can help it, try to stick to side streets. The dogs learn to stay out of the street, I don't let them walk on the traffic side. I do try to keep them walking on the grass, but they often walk next to the curb. If you can find a park or wooded area that is also a good option.
Thanks, yeah im doing my research now to find wooded area or state parks and such to go walk them there.
good thing is, we are not locked on a house yet, we're still looking, we might have to find one with a backyard if there are no parks within close distance so at least they have an area to stretch their legs

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm nearish the Greensboro area and there are a ton of state parks and local trails to walk dogs on, it means a short car ride but it's worth it.
thanks ! if you have any suggestions on state parks and local trails, feel free to list them here. we're still learning the area. my husband's job is in Greensboro and mine in WS ... :( we're looking for a house in the middle and hope for the best. we went to tanglewood park near clemmons, as well as pilot mountain and hanging rock. tanglewood will def be closer for the everyday kinda routine but we're thinking on doing state parks like pilot mountain or hanging rock once a week or so depending on our schedule

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
*Updates *

We are finally in NC !!! YAY !!! lol
but we are still house hunting :(
the one we ended up moving in is really not what we were expecting ... so back to square one ( sigh ...)

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
Welcome to NC!

As others have said, you just stick to less busy streets or go hiking in a county/state park. NC is great for parks :D Especially Western NC.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to NC!

As others have said, you just stick to less busy streets or go hiking in a county/state park. NC is great for parks :D Especially Western NC.
Thanks, Im excited !
the new house we're probably moving in has a big backyard, which will help a lot cause of the no sidewalks thing :D
We've already been to Pilot mountain state park and Hanging rock state park and loved them, Our girl was out like a rock after 5 hours of hiking ahah :) when we went to Asheville we did Chimney rock and Dupont state forest :)
we want to try the Stone mountain state park since we are near Greensboro. we might try some other ones further out when we have long weekends
hopefully we'll be able to do these parks once a week is my goal, when we are settled.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts