Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we adopted Max from an individual, we quickly discovered a few days later that he had Parvo. His records showed he had already had 3 rounds of puppy shots (he was 4 months old when we got him). The Parvo symptoms showed up within a week, we immediately took him to our vet for a 4 day hospitalization. It's now been 5 weeks and you would never know this pup ever had the virus...except for the pudding stools. He has been tested for parasites (negative) and for Giardia (negative). The vet put him on meds to help, but two rounds of that did nothing. We've tried pumpkin, probiotics, and yogurt. The only semi-relief has been adding fiber, but the stools are still mushy. The vet ran a fecal test a couple weeks ago, and said he is still sloughing the damages of the virus. She said that it can take months for his intestines to heal. I guess I thought that his stools would be firmer by now. They are impossible to pick up if I don't use Physilium Husk to help it hold together a bit better. Is there anything else I can try, or has anyone else's furbaby taken this long to recover and produce a firm stool? We feed Farmina Ancestral Grains Chicken. I don't believe he has a chicken allergy. Thanks for any information you can provide.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My dog never did firm poos, regardless of what kibble I tried him on, till I switched him to a raw diet - that fixed the problem pretty much overnight. So I'd suggest you consider that, in case it's 'just him' and unconnected to the parvo.

·
Super Moderator
401 Posts
I may be wrong but can Giardia give false negatives and need to be re-tested several days apart?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My dog never did firm poos, regardless of what kibble I tried him on, till I switched him to a raw diet - that fixed the problem pretty much overnight. So I'd suggest you consider that, in case it's 'just him' and unconnected to the parvo.
I don't know much about providing a well-balanced raw or home cooked diet. Max is currently 50 lbs at 5 1/2 months. Could you recommend some reputable websites where I can see recipes, please? Thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't know much about providing a well-balanced raw or home cooked diet. Max is currently 50 lbs at 5 1/2 months. Could you recommend some reputable websites where I can see recipes, please? Thanks!
There's an excellent guide you can download for free on the Honey's dog food website: Raw feeding advice - They also give some guidelines here: A simple but effective feeding plan for adult dogs -

Once you've got your head around it, it really just boils down to a lot of muscle meat, some offal, some bone, giving a wide range of protein types (e.g. chicken, lamb, rabbit), and throwing in the odd optional extra (tinned fish, yoghurt, veggies).

·
Super Moderator
10,727 Posts
If you are going to try a raw diet, I strongly suggest that you consult with a vet nutritionalist since your boy is a growing, large breed, puppy. You do not want to mess up the nutrition as there is less wiggle room given you have a growing puppy. Getting the calcium / phosphorus ration wrong could result in bone and joint problems down the road. Normally I'd say just stick with the 80/10/10 ratio, 80% muscle meat, and 10% organ and bone, and if you are worried he's missing anything give him a good vitamin supplement, with a growing puppy I'm just not comfortable with that.

My own boy is sensitive to poultry, if he gets more then a bite or two he gets soft stool. His stool starts out firm and then as the day goes on gets softer and softer. One thing that helps, if he gets chicken, is adding some oat bran to his food.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's an excellent guide you can download for free on the Honey's dog food website: Raw feeding advice - They also give some guidelines here: A simple but effective feeding plan for adult dogs -

Once you've got your head around it, it really just boils down to a lot of muscle meat, some offal, some bone, giving a wide range of protein types (e.g. chicken, lamb, rabbit), and throwing in the odd optional extra (tinned fish, yoghurt, veggies).
Thank you! I will check it out. I can't imagine going through the next 10 or so years picking up pudding :poop:, especially when we travel and camp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts