Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog was treated with VETPROFEN for arthritis for last 6 months. And then she got severe diarrhea. I have never heard from vet that this pills have a terrible side effects such as serious adverse reactions include increased thirst and urination, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, anemia, bloody or tarry stool, jaundice, abnormal behavior, seizures, or others. In rare instances, death may occur ...
I stopped giving her pills last week...OMG! I did not read about side effects until it has happened. Do not know what to do ...One week later ...no pills...still diarrhea. Bought today some probiotics and dry food Healthy Balance healthy digestive . Anybody has any experience with it?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
My dog was treated with VETPROFEN for arthritis for last 6 months. And then she got severe diarrhea. I have never heard from vet that this pills have a terrible side effects such as serious adverse reactions include increased thirst and urination, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, anemia, bloody or tarry stool, jaundice, abnormal behavior, seizures, or others. In rare instances, death may occur ...
I stopped giving her pills last week...OMG! I did not read about side effects until it has happened. Do not know what to do ...One week later ...no pills...still diarrhea. Bought today some probiotics and dry food Healthy Balance healthy digestive . Anybody has any experience with it?
I would try kefir, I like it because you know the good bacteria is alive in it. 1/4 cup 2 or 3 times a day.I have heard lots of night mare stories about those types of drugs. Ask to read before you agree to pay for the recommended drug. Personally I like more natural remedies if they work and this one does. read the clinical trials that is what made me buy it. My 11 year old hound is running around like a pup again. He has arthritis in his elbows and hips. This is what i bought first then started buying it from a health site.
SUPER SNOUTS ? JOINT POWER INFORMATION
this is the human formula I like there because I think more care is taken for human formulas.
Swanson Premium New Zealand Green Lipped Mussel, Freeze Dried 500 mg 60 Caps - Swanson Health Products

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
If your dog still has diarrhea after stopping the medication, why do you believe that's what caused the diarrhea? Sorry, but you need to remember that almost every single medication has the potential for side effects. Most dogs tolerate vetprofen very well. Even so called natural products can have side effects.

See your vet for advice on the diarrhea. Getting advice from non veterinarians on the internet is risky. No one can diagnose your dog from behind a keyboard. Some things people recommend are harmless. Some things are not harmless and if you mess around trying things non professionals recommend you may harm your dog if it needs veterinary intervention

Most "nightmare" stories about prescription drugs come from people who have no medical training. The internet is a great source for misinformation when it comes to medicine. Remember this saying. Correlation is not causation.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I had my dog on Metacam, and she developed bloody diarrhea. We took her off the metacam and it did not go away. Sometimes there may be no correlation and your dogs diarrhea can have a different cause. We never got a diagnosis for the diarrhea and it cleared up on its own after off/on episodes for several months. I'm starting to suspect it's 'something going around'.
In our case, the Metacam had nothing to do with it, but many anti-inflammatories are hard on the digestive tract and it's good to rule them out when there is a problem (stop the meds), find an alternative.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I was going to say about the same thing as Grabby mentioned... if you want to horrify yourself, read through the PDR and note EVERY drug's list of potential side effects... you may never take another drug again (including aspirin)!! But as mentioned, 'potential' certainly does not correlate into 'likely'. Hundreds of thousands of dogs take Carprofen and many other drugs commonly prescribed to them with an outstandingly rare incidence of side effects from most of them. There are, of course, many cases in which a pet can suffer from some malady while on a medication. But reacting badly specifically to a medication is not the same as having some untoward symptoms while taking a drug (most of these symptoms are not always, or even often related to what medications they are on). Yes diarrhea can be caused by some drugs, but then so can eating something a dog's not used to ingest (a VERY common situation and certainly far more common than a drug reaction).

However, that also does not mean you should ignore the possibilities either... if your dog is on a med and gets an illness, better stop the med and/or discuss that situation with your veterinarian. We always tell people who have a dog that gets any sort of illness, stop any medication they are currently on, unless it is extremely unlikely there is cause and effect, or if that medication is essential for their life or current health situation, or if that medication is more likely to improve their current situation rather than harm it. I am very aware of the possible complications that can arise from dogs taking non-steroidals yet have only seen 3-4 cases in the tens of thousands of dogs I have seen or prescribed these medications. Still, if a client complains of their pet developing diarrhea while on a medication, we still recommend they stop it at least until the symptoms can be worked out and stopped. Fortunately most true complications or side effects of non-steroidals are quickly reversible if the medications are stopped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts