1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Why in the heck did they need 300 dogs to begin with?!?!?!?! That is absolutely disgusting and his other 200 dogs should be removed and his business shut the heck down! What a sick SICK thing and the employee could have said "heck no!" He deserves nothing as well
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like the edit button is gone, bah! I found the email address of the company that did this if anyone else wants to give them a piece of their mind: [email protected]

Maybe if they get enough scathing emails it will make them realize the error of their ways... One can hope at least. I also recommend posting a review of the company (Outdoor Adventures) on Yelp so people realize that the company condones unethical dog slaughters.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Howling Dog Tours is the sled company that provides sled dog rides to the parent company Outdoor Adventures. From what I understand they needed 300 sled dogs to keep up with demand for the rides during the peak season, and now that demand has gone down they had 100 or so extra dogs and couldn't pay for all of their care...

So their answer is to freaking slaughter them in front of each other in the most brutal way possible? And then tries to claim workmans comp when he gets hurt? What the heck did he think the dogs would do when they saw him blasting the brains out of their packmates? There are soooo many things wrong with this that it just makes my stomach turn. The guy that did it deserved every bite he got and I hope he has nightmares and PTSD about it for the rest of his life.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
There really are no words to explain how horrible these people are, and I can't say on here what I think and pray would happen to them. :mad:

·
Registered
307 Posts
That story made me so mad!!!!! Firstly because 100 healthy sled dogs were killed inhumanely and secondly because now the whole world is going to think that all mushers kill their dogs when they can no longer feed them. We already have enough trouble with PETA and AR activists without stories like this!! :mad:
As cruel as this may sound I have to think of the logistics. With 100 sled dogs that you need to get rid of and fast a shelter is not going to be the best option for them. Aside from the fact that it would be very difficult to find a shelter that would or could take that many dogs these dogs cannot be adopted as pets. They need to go to a home with somebody who knows how to and already does run dogs. These dogs are extremely high energy and all they want to do is run. They will stop at nothing to get to run even if that means climbing out of fences and slipping collars and trying to chew their way out of your house. They simply cannot be in a pet home. So most ( maybe not all) of them if they had ended up in a shelter would have been put down anyways because nobody could handle them.
The other option is to sell them which with 100 dogs would take a very long time.
BUT what they SHOULD have done in the beginning, before they got into the touring business is they should have had some sort of plan B in case they could no longer afford their dogs.
It sounds to me like they got into the touring business too much too fast and got more dogs than they could financially handle. You don't need 300 dogs to run a touring business. That is not even logical. You can't get a bunch more dogs just to satisfy customers during the "tourist season" like store owners get more inventory. They are living breathing LIVE beings with feelings and a personality!!!
Come to find out this guy is actually the VICE PRESIDENT of Mush With P.R.I.D.E. which is a club dedicated to the welfare of sled dogs. What a hypocrite!!! Heres proof: Board of Directors The guy's name is Bob Fawcett.
Just an FYI in case anybody is wondering this kind of thing does not happen often in the dog mushing world. This just happens to be one of those bad apples that didn’t have things planned out very well and unfortunately let profit come before their athletes. :'(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wth does the company do? Why oh why did it need 300 dogs?!
Posted via Mobile Device
It really is a terrible story, no one can believe it. I live in BC, it's been on the news two nights in a row now. The reason for the 300 dogs was because of the Olympics being held in Vancouver & Whistler. There was a huge boom to tourism during that time but after that they couldn't afford to keep 300 dogs. They got some employee to kill 100 dogs, who is now claiming he was "forced" to kill them - if I'd been given those orders I would've gone to the police.

The SPCA has already located the mass grave. It's just disgusting. The problem is, there are no laws in place for working dogs, these dogs aren't considered pets. It is VERY hard to adopt out dogs like this because they would need to learn to become pets; they need to be rehabilitated. They are not house broken, they aren't all that used to human companionship, and you would need a very high fence as they just want to escape and run and also fencing underground, because they'd dig to get out, again, to run.

The worst story was of a dog that got half of its face shot off, and then the guy chased it around to finish it off while it tried to escape with its eye hanging out. I almost stopped eating dinner after hearing about that.

Another problem is, there just isn't a demand for larger dogs. All the SPCA has around here are larger dogs, but do you think we can find any small dogs? Not a chance. We are shipping smaller dogs up from California's death row because there's such a demand for them here and hardly any in shelters. Meanwhile, people pay 600-1,000 dollars for a small/medium sized dog online/in the paper.

On the up side, there's been a call to ban all dog sledding since if the companies run into financial trouble as it is right now there are no guarantees for what will happen to the dogs. Also, that company is currently suspended pending further investigation. In any event, all of the other employees seems to be genuinely shocked (although I have no idea what THEY think had happened to the dogs...) and no matter the outcome of the investigation, after news like this the company is finished.

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
On the up side, there's been a call to ban all dog sledding since if the companies run into financial trouble as it is right now there are no guarantees for what will happen to the dogs. Also, that company is currently suspended pending further investigation. In any event, all of the other employees seems to be genuinely shocked (although I have no idea what THEY think had happened to the dogs...) and no matter the outcome of the investigation, after news like this the company is finished.
Well thank goodness they're doing something about it. And yes I'm sure that company will be put out of business even if someone doesn't directly shut them down. I don't know if banning all dog sledding is really the solution but if they can't set up a fool proof plan to take care of the dogs no matter what happens with the company I think it's a good idea. Plus there should be new laws put into place to protect any type of working dog. ;)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info Carmel, its comforting to know they'll be put out of business for this. I just hope that when they are someone handles the remaining dogs with more care... I agree with Esme, I don't think banning the sled dog sport is a good idea. More laws protecting the animals involved would be a far better solution. I know there are mushers out there that DO take good care of their dogs, like Dakota :)

On the idea that no one wants larger dogs in Canada and how the sled dogs aren't suited to family homes... Sled dog types are in HUGE demand in the states. Huskies are the #1 stolen breed down here. Also, there are rescue groups that rehab racing greyhounds and put them in family homes all the time. It seems like there should be some rescue group that does similar for sled dogs and places them in homes down here in the states. That way sled dogs have a place to go when they're no longer needed for sledding other than 6 feet under.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I know nothing about sled dogs, but I would think that it would have been more beneficial for the company to sell them to other musher's. Why would you kill off a huge investment like 100 well trained dogs. Not only the cost of the dog, but part of the man hours used to train them could have been regained.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the info Carmel, its comforting to know they'll be put out of business for this. I just hope that when they are someone handles the remaining dogs with more care... I agree with Esme, I don't think banning the sled dog sport is a good idea. More laws protecting the animals involved would be a far better solution. I know there are mushers out there that DO take good care of their dogs, like Dakota :)

On the idea that no one wants larger dogs in Canada and how the sled dogs aren't suited to family homes... Sled dog types are in HUGE demand in the states. Huskies are the #1 stolen breed down here. Also, there are rescue groups that rehab racing greyhounds and put them in family homes all the time. It seems like there should be some rescue group that does similar for sled dogs and places them in homes down here in the states. That way sled dogs have a place to go when they're no longer needed for sledding other than 6 feet under.
You're welcome. I had to join this site just to give everyone an update on events.

Banning sledding permanently is not the objective, but people are so outraged over this that they want companies like this one to temporarily suspend activities until there can be laws put in place for the protection of these dogs. This is just talk so far, but I think so many people are outraged that some changes are going to be in the works.

Ah, don't get the impression that people don't want larger dogs in Canada! Of course people want larger dogs in Canada! However in bigger cities like mine (Vancouver) they aren't as desirable for many people since there aren't as many large properties and many people live in apartments/condos. I'm sure in more rural areas people owning bigger dogs are a lot more common but the fact remains that all dogs I see on the SPCA website for adoption in our province are larger dogs. The smaller ones never make in on the website likely because they are spoken for so quickly. I kind of thought that was the same everywhere; larger dogs cost more and likely need more exercise and obedience training... if some people no longer have that small cute little puppy and are faced with a monster that can jump fences, knock you over and be hard to handle they end up in a shelter. The "shortage" of smaller dogs in shelters may not even be the case in other provinces but that's how it is on the West Coast.

On the news last night they showed a rehabilitation center for working dogs in the province, so we do have them, but the lady that works with these dogs mentioned that it's incredibly hard to find a place for them unless it's on another sledding team. I hardly think a place like that, or even many places like that, could've handled 100 dogs.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I know nothing about sled dogs, but I would think that it would have been more beneficial for the company to sell them to other musher's. Why would you kill off a huge investment like 100 well trained dogs. Not only the cost of the dog, but part of the man hours used to train them could have been regained.
You are exactly right. They could have actually made money over time to feed the other dogs by selling the extra 100. But its a good thing that they were found out because I wouldn't want somebody who doesn't care about their dogs and only sees them as a way to make money to be in this sport.
I know there are mushers out there that DO take good care of their dogs, like Dakota
Thank you. :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Banning sledding permanently is not the objective, but people are so outraged over this that they want companies like this one to temporarily suspend activities until there can be laws put in place for the protection of these dogs. This is just talk so far, but I think so many people are outraged that some changes are going to be in the works.
Ahh, that makes more sense. There's such a long and interesting tradition in sledding that I'd hate to see it completely banned because of one greedy and unethical company taking advantage of the lack of laws. Hopefully it wont take too long for the politicians to work out some fair laws so the dogs and their mushers can go back to doing what they love.

Ah, don't get the impression that people don't want larger dogs in Canada! Of course people want larger dogs in Canada! However in bigger cities like mine (Vancouver) they aren't as desirable for many people since there aren't as many large properties and many people live in apartments/condos. I'm sure in more rural areas people owning bigger dogs are a lot more common but the fact remains that all dogs I see on the SPCA website for adoption in our province are larger dogs. The smaller ones never make in on the website likely because they are spoken for so quickly. I kind of thought that was the same everywhere; larger dogs cost more and likely need more exercise and obedience training... if some people no longer have that small cute little puppy and are faced with a monster that can jump fences, knock you over and be hard to handle they end up in a shelter. The "shortage" of smaller dogs in shelters may not even be the case in other provinces but that's how it is on the West Coast.
Ahh that makes sense. In the states little dogs have a fair bit of demand, but there's always a good selection of little dogs in the shelters around here (fellow west coaster, just a bit south of you :) ), but the highest population is usually bully breed mixes. I think that's more because of their undeservedly bad reputation than their size however. Husky types always get snapped up out of the shelters super fast however, so I still think that the rescue groups up by you would find many willing homes to take in their rehabbed dogs if they paired up with one of our local rescue groups. Its just a matter of rehabbing the dogs fast enough to keep up with the demand at that point, not that you can really "speed up" rehab ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
i mean... might sound bad but a better idea would have just been releasing them in to the wild... might be illegal up there i dont know... but at least some, maybe most would have survived... better then killing them all, god this turns my stomach... btw the us already has way too many dogs as it is... the odds of someone finding a home for a sled dog down here are slim to none

1 - 17 of 17 Posts