Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
help please got an eight week old puppy on friday and he got his first vacination he hasnt eaten since then cant keep food down and very withdrawn been to vets she said viral infection and gave him anti biotics still not eating etc help:confused:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Have you tried giving him canned food that's in gravy? Or maybe cottage cheese?

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
what did the vet recommend? viral infection? like what virus?
maybe broth would be best, help to keep him hydrated too. when he can eat again, i think creamed rice is good, you can also try canned pumpkin, it settles my dog's stomach, maybe he could keep that down.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
help please got an eight week old puppy on friday and he got his first vacination he hasnt eaten since then cant keep food down and very withdrawn been to vets she said viral infection and gave him anti biotics still not eating etc help:confused:

antibiotics don't treat viruses.

What virus did the vet say and what medication was given?

Call your vet.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
what did the vet recommend? viral infection? like what virus?
maybe broth would be best, help to keep him hydrated too. when he can eat again, i think creamed rice is good, you can also try canned pumpkin, it settles my dog's stomach, maybe he could keep that down.
Yes I agree with the canned pumpkin, make sure its not the pie filling but 100% pumpkin. I am also curious as the the viral infection.... did they rule out parvo?

21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you ev1 for your replies the vet ruled out parvo but said viral infection hes still not eating having to syringe fluids and food going to loo normally still on antibiotics could it be a reaction to first vacination? not getting any better or worse just how long can he be ill like this so unfair on him.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
thank you ev1 for your replies the vet ruled out parvo but said viral infection hes still not eating having to syringe fluids and food going to loo normally still on antibiotics could it be a reaction to first vacination? not getting any better or worse just how long can he be ill like this so unfair on him.
2 things.... 1 I had to deal with constant diarrhea from my beagle mix for about a month and a half when we first got him...when metronidazole and two different foods weren't working I kept harassing my vet LOL Maybe if you tell your vet you are unhappy with results and want answers and be demanding (because you have ever right to) maybe he/she will suggest more tests. If not...my second point is get your baby to a different vet ASAP! It is detrimental that they get nutrients and fluid and begin to perk up sooner than later. and please keep us updated!

21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks ev1 had to go back to vets 2day to get blood tests done . dont know what sort of viral infection wondering if its a reaction to puppy vaination???? any ideas

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
thanks ev1 had to go back to vets 2day to get blood tests done . dont know what sort of viral infection wondering if its a reaction to puppy vaination???? any ideas
Ok has your vet NOT RULED THIS OUT? I am concerned about your vet considering you have now mentioned this twice... if your vet has not said anything why haven't you? The vet is the best person to get medical advice from...he/she SHOULD know if this is a vaccine reaction.... Please go back to the vet AGAIN or call him and ask this specific question... otherwise go to another vet clinic

21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you pawz hun yep if results come back clear going to go to another vets because of what i can gather vets are a bit sceptical about admiting problems with vaccines. i wont know about results until later 2day if not 2morrow . will let you know how i get on

1 - 13 of 13 Posts