Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My 8 week old puppy is suffering from an upper respiratory infection (kennel cough?), that might have led to pneumonia. She also has Giardia. Her fever was at 105.2 degrees a few days ago. She has staggered breathing that looks and sounds very painful for her along with thick nasal discharge. This all started with a hacking like cough that we thought was harmless and would disappear on it's own. She is a rescued puppy from a no-kill shelter and probably contracted her illnesses through transport or her previous living situations.
My vet prescribed Metronidazole, Clavamox, and Panacur. I researched these medications and felt assured by what I learned from the Clavamox and Panacur. The Metronidazole I am worried about, however. In several places I have read that it should not be given to young puppies and can cause irreversible side effects and neurological reactions because of toxicity.
Is Metronidazole a good choice for my puppy right now? Does it cover a broader spectrum of respiratory infection causes? We could not afford a respiratory panel to pinpoint the exact cause of the infection (bacterial, viral, fungal), but it seems more likely that it is bacterial. What other choices of antibiotics do I have that might work better? The puppy's fever has dropped and she seems to be doing better, but she is staggering and I worry about long term side effects from the Metronidazole. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Dom

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I have used Metro. with my (at the time) 9 week old puppy with no side effects. I trust my vet/boss immensely that she would not prescribe me anything that would damage my pup.

I have seen it used on many dogs/puppies at work (animal hospital) abd have never heard or seen it cause any issues.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Glad I can help you feel better! :) There are side effects and possible problems with anything we give our dogs, so its good to be aware and know what you are giving, definitely!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 5 of 5 Posts